Need More DLS EchoTap Info...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Dec 23, 2005.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I'd like to know more about comments regarding the EchoTap affecting the original tone. Here's a comment:

"The DLS tone is beautiful, but the alteration of the original signal is awful"

Any feedback/thoughts on this?

2. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I don't feel like it alters the original signal at all. In fact, I believe that's one of the cool things it does...it sends the original signal through intact and the digital effect is only applied to the echoes. It's also true bypass, so it doesn't effect it when off. I think there is a trim pot inside to set input and output volume (so it boosts the signal, or doesn't boost the signal) but that's all I can think of.
    I think it's a really great pedal.

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

evanjackson: that's what I've heard re: preservation of the original tone. I wonder what that particular poster was commenting about.

Does it have an analog setting for warmer repeats?

4. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I had one and sold it for that very reason. The echo sound itself was great, and the unit is very versatile, but it has an effect on your dry signal when the pedal is on. If you turn the mix all the way off (dry), and compare the sound of the pedal on vs. off you will hear it. It might seem like a small thing, but I just couldn't deal with it, it added what I can best describe as a "mid hump".

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

When I play the Echo Tap through my rig (see below) I do not notice any negative impact to my tone...and my tone is silly, so I would notice immediately if something wasn't right.

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Mixed reviews!

7. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Here's a section of a post from the maker of the Echo Tap:

"Also, opamp brightness can sound a bit differently on different amps. The volume adjustments may also change the brightness a enough to satisfy you. However, some of the early units can be brightened up a bit by removing capacitor C19. If someone desires less brightness, a capacitor can be added at C19 to roll off some highs. If you have questions, email me through our web site contact page at www.dlseffects.com

Thanks to everyone using our products and your feedback!
    Dave"

I opened up mine with the intent of removing this cap, since I desired more brightness-no cap. Mine was one of the later ones evidently.
    Check out this thread if you haven't already:
    http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=44863&highlight=DLS+Echo+tap

The author of the thread was experiencing the same problem I was. I am not trying to dog this pedal, I really thought it was outstanding as far as the sound of the delay and the versatility, but it just didn't work out for me due to the problem mentioned in my first post.

8. Deaj

Deaj Member

I bought an early EchoTAP used from a fellow forum member and it had the capacitor installed at C19. I did not like what the pedal did to the guitar signal at all. I spoke with Dave at DLS and he provided me with instructions for how to remove this cap (bringing the unit to current specs) and adjust the trim pots inside the unit for maximum headroom. This change fixed my issue with the pedal colorinig the guitar signal. All effect pedals utilizing op amps (all delay pedals do) will have some impact on the tone and feel of your guitar signal and the EchoTAP is no different. I notice a difference when the pedal is on but much less than with other delay pedals I would have otherwise liked. This is different for every player. The T-Rex Replica is a good example as well. Some have said they don't perceive a difference, some say they do but they like the way it colors their tone, and still others don't care for the way it impacts the guitar signal. I sold the T-Rex because I couldn't deal with the coloration. You'd have to try the EchoTAP for yourself to know if it's an issue for you.

9. 1kidc

1kidc Member

BILLY K - +1!!!!!

I Loved the trails but there was a definite alteration to my basic sound. I ended up turning mine.......

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

1kidc:
    You ended up returning yours due to the alteration of your tone? (not sure I understood your post - sorry!)

11. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Wow, I never realized this pedal had an issue for some people. I bought mine here on the forums and I don't know if it has that mod or not, but I haven't noticed any coloration in my signal at all. The controls were extremely responsive for me and I could dial in however bright/dark I wanted. I sold my Hughes & Kettner Replex for it and I'm glad I did (they're both great pedals, but I prefer the more digital sound now).