Need more headroom for Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Tweed?

sam7

Any ideas of what preamp and power amp tubes I need to get for my Hot Rod Deluxe? It's the limited edition tweed version with the Jensen speaker, and I use pedals for my overdrive...would like to get tubes that would make it as clean as possible without the amp overdriving...

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
The Twees version circuit is the same as all of the HRDX's. I think only the speaker is differnt (and obviously the Tweed covering).

A couple of things you can do:

Bias the amp only the lower side of the acceptable range. This will keep the power tubes from overdriving sooner.

You can try a 5751 instead of 12AX7's for the 3 preamps tubes. This will also lower the overall volume as well though. So instead of turning up to 3 you may have to turn up to 6 for the same volume (just an example not hard numbers).

Last but not least you could put in a more efficient speakers. Cannibas Rex is great for straight cleans (I do not like it with dirt pedals or an overdriven amp) or a Creamback H for cleans as well but also works wonders with drive pedals.

That's about it. Just relent though- the amp is the amp. These will def change some things but it will not make it something it's not. It's like putting on new clothes and expecting to be a differnt person. Doesn't work that way. All of these changes either enhance or inhibit what the amp is to just a degree.

DaveKS

Only real way is speaker. Changing preamp tube just moves position on volume knob of where breakup occurs, still same volume just that it will now be at 7 instead of 5. Now a 5751 or 12ay7 can smooth the character nicely but you will lose a bit in total volume the amp will produce.

Jensen p12q is a 95db speaker so going to like a CRex at 103db will be much louder, almost double. Which means you can now run power tubes at 8 instead of 10 and get less power amp breakup at same volume.

Also jensen breakup easily and are very ragged sounding when they do. CRex is polar opposite tone wise, wether you'll like it who knows. Many other higher efficiency speakers out there than p12q, in fact almost any speaker made today will be louder.

Guitar Dave T

Yes to the speaker change. Big fan of Celestion V30 and G1265 speakers in that amp. Both are in the 60-65 watt range, both provide a lot of girth and headroom and both have a nice overdrive sound in that amp once broken in. Have also heard great things about the G12H 75 watt creamback.

copperhead

Did this for my HRDLX
If you don't want NOS tubes the Tung-sol reissue 5881's for the power section are quite nice .I went with JJ 5751 & they did the exact opposite of getting cleaner headroom
they are too round sounding ,so you get a deeper less glassy tone with less gain .
I will be looking for some NOS RCA's or GE somewhere .

sam7

Thanks for the suggestions, besides the preamp tubes, I'm thinking of celestion vintage 30's...how much does it change the sound of the amp, especially when psuhed with overdrive pedals?

Geosh

Thanks for the suggestions, besides the preamp tubes, I'm thinking of celestion vintage 30's...how much does it change the sound of the amp, especially when psuhed with overdrive pedals?
It will change things, but IMO for the better. I was never a huge fan of the stock Eminence speaker (or Jensen in my Blues Deluxe). A new speaker will change the sound, but there are a lot of demos to check out to see what you might like. Eminence Cannibas Rex is one of my faves in that amp, but it has a LOT more mellow high end.

I didn't ever think the Hot Rod was lacking in clean headroom though... I always had way more volume than I needed.

DaveKS

Did this for my HRDLX
If you don't want NOS tubes the Tung-sol reissue 5881's for the power section are quite nice .I went with JJ 5751 & they did the exact opposite of getting cleaner headroom
they are too round sounding ,so you get a deeper less glassy tone with less gain .
I will be looking for some NOS RCA's or GE somewhere .
Absolutely, the JJ 5751 are horrid, dull and blurry with no string seperation. Sylvania (smoother growl) and GE (brighter/tighter punch) are my choices, RCA least favorite nos, they can be a little meh. This as usual, is all a IMHO, YMMV opinion.

sam7

For the above suggested speakers, should i get the 8 or 16 ohm versions? I am assuming the 8?

Dashface

Definitely go with a V30. I run one in my Deluxe Reverb. Makes it have SO much more headroom. Sounds great too.

Guitar Dave T

V30 is kind of an anomaly. The same character that can make them sometimes sound harsh in the living room makes them sound fantastic with a band or loud backing track.

I love them. They're one of the few speakers that can bring out the Hendrix, Eric Johnson and Duane Allman vibe - all from a Fender amp no less.

sam7

What would you guys suggest for a speaker that has a lot of headroom,and takes overdrive pedals really well without being harsh or fizzing?

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
What would you guys suggest for a speaker that has a lot of headroom,and takes overdrive pedals really well without being harsh or fizzing?
EVM 12L

Ideally the EV SRO 12/L.

Trending Topics