Need New Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bargeruns, Sep 22, 2008.

1. bargeruns

bargeruns Member

I've been playing through a VOX AC15 and I just don't have the headroom. It gets too broken up too easily and muds out. I'm looking for something that can just get super clean, blackface or silverface style, and have tons of room. If I'm only looking to spend $900 or less, what would be a good idea?

2. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

What speaker configuration are you looking for? You could go a lot of directions based on weight and config. No breakup at all and don't mind lugging a huge box? Common answer would be to get a early SF Twin for cheap.

I would suggest looking into the VVT Fralin amp since you're coming from a small box and if you want to keep the 1 speaker configuration, that is a great clean amp with beautiful reverb.

3. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

In the Fender camp, a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb (2 x 6V6) would have about the same wattage, so you'd be looking for something with more volume, which would be the Pro, Super, Bandmaster (2 x 6L6).

A Twin is also a great choice because it has huge volume from four 6L6's and is currently undervalued.

If you're in Florida, I'd recommend visiting Real Guitars in Fort Myers to try out the '70s Bandmaster Reverb, which is in your price range. It's a head with a big speaker cab (2 x 12's) that sounds stunning.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

If you want loud and clean, you can do no wrong with silverface twin, pro, or super.

If you want small, loud and clean, try some 80s mesas.

5. paulgroove82

paulgroove82 Supporting Member

Get an older Dr. Z Mazerati (NOT the GT model) and use efficient power tubes. I love mine and it has the sweetness and glassy quality of an ac15/30 but with great headroom that doesn't get too muddy when it gets pushed.

6. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Configuration?? Mesa Heartbreaker maybe??