Need New amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by crazyrocker210, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Hey guys. I posted this in the guitar forum but then realized there was this amp forum so I figure I'd post this here. Anyways I need a new amp combo or halfstack. I play in an emocore/hardcore/punk band and my current solid state fender 90 watt doesnt really cover it. The amp has to have good distortion and alright cleans. No effects needed, has to have a input for a cab and reverb would be nice. Also I'm looking into tube amps but I know so little about them, so any help on that subject would be appreciated. I'm looking for something for around 800ish and I'm gonna finance it because I dont have that much money now so it has to be throw music123.com or a similar site. Thanks so much guys.

-Tim-

2. aquadog

aquadog Member

Are you opposed to a used amp?

3. Its not that I'm opposed to a used amp, its just I dont really have much money right now so financing is kind of the only way I can go. And if I dont finance I'd have to sell my esp ltd h-1000 to fund the amp. I did see some nice 5150's for cheap on ebay though...

4. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Crate Blue Voodoo man, itll do what you want. and its around 800

5. Well the thing is I only have around 800 for the cab and head, forgot to mention that. I guess I dont need a halfstack though, but when my bands plays gigs my Fender kinda crackles at high volumes cause its so old. I just need a good reliable high gain amp for 800 or less.

6. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

You might want to try a Avatar Speakers Cabinet Loaded with Vintage 30s and then a behringer V-ampire Head, it's a pretty good sounding modeling amp that will give you tons of variety

7. raz

raz Member

Emo, Hardcore, and Punk aren't snobbish about tubes, but LOUD is important. You should be able to find Marshall 4x12's in the NYC area all day long for $250-300. A Valvestate head can rock your world and they're cheap.

But I got a hint for you: Jim Martin here has a Peavey Rockmaster preamp and a 2x50 watt Peavey amp for sale with a rack for less than $500 and I think that includes shipping. We're talking GOOD cleans and STUPID amounts of gain. Thrash city. You won't be "hip" hauling around a rack, but you'll sound like death unleashed. Do yourself a favor and at least consider it.

R
    A
    Z

8. Yeah, thanks for the suggestions but one of my friends have a behringer modeling amp and it kinda sucks, plus I dont really like the valvestate amps that much. I tried one once and it sounded way to bassy. And raz, I dont know the first thing about racks and preamps, they seem kind of confusing. But if someone can find info on it that might help. Also, is a common misconception that emocore/harcore/punk people dont care what they play but I do. I'm not looking for ear drum breaking loudness, I need good distortion/alright clean sound along with some high volumes. But so yeah, thanks for the replies, keep em coming. Thanks

-Tim-

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Well, $800 new is a place that most of us don't play a lot. The great sounding amps in that range would be the Reverend and the Traynor YCV40/80. OTOH, you might talk to the smaller local music stores and see if any of them have payment plans? If you can buy used, you can probably nail a beat JCM800 and generic 412 cab for that-which is all the tone/volume/mojo you'll ever need for the rest of your career. The problem with buying stuff that's barely good enough is that you lose money when you have to trade it in later for better gear... You could also find a used 5150 (noisy but good sound), Peavey Classic 50 (you'd need a pedal for Hardcore gain levels but they're very reliable and have a very decent clean sound. If loud is the main thing a used Fender Stage 160 with extension cab is a VERY decent sounding rig that'll get very loud, for less than $500. Add a $200-250 Vtwin pedal from Ebay and you've got a killer rig. Some of the older SS stuff has a decent clean sound (Peavey, Acoustic, Sunn) and takes pedals pretty well, so that's another direction...

10. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Check into the Crate Power Block.

jeffhef

11. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Carvin is selling a scratch and dent MTS 3212 head on a well known auction site for $509. You can get an avatar 212 cab for $288. You'll probably be @ $850 with shipping and your head will explode.

12. Sorry, but I cant do the ebay thing right now considering I'd have to sell my h-1000 and I really dont wanna do that so I cant go ebay right now. But yeah, I really dont like running pedals thru my amps so the amp has to have good distortion. Although I do hear good things about the peavey classic 50....But anyways I think I definately need a payment plan considering my money situation right now. Also I'm not big on tube amps and basically dont know anything about them or which sound good, I've been looking at the 5150 and the jcm 800 because some bands I like use them. Any other opinions? Thanks alot guys, your a great help.

-Tim-

13. O yeah, some bands that I like to play include Senses Fail, From Autumn to Ashes, Metallica, Thursday, Avenged Sevenfold, Jimmy Eat World, System of a Down, Poison the Well, and alot of bands like that. Also, the amp has to be able to do stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Interpol, Muse, The Strokes, Incubus, and alot of alternative stuff too. I need it seems like a long shot for an amp that can cover this stuff though. But heres just what I need the amp to do, maybe it can help you guys pick one out for me? Thanks

-Tim-

14. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Crazy, you're in a tough spot, there simply isn't much out there at that price range, at a retailer, for $800. It's either you go modeling, or used, and you don't like either.

I don't know of any new amps/heads/whatever that will get you where you want to go, other than solid state or modeling at that price range.

15. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Check out the Line 6 stuff.

Spider II and/or Flextone

if not that, then maybe the crate powerblock with a rat.

tip on using the rat, when you try it dont turn the distortion to 10

16. Ok, since there are a lack of options at any store for my price range I'm going to look used now. Same price point I guess, sucks not that I have to sell my h-1000 though:( . So anyways, anymore options? Thanks guys.

-Tim-

17. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

how about a crate solid state full stack? its like 700 complete

18. Yeah, I've played through the crate half stack and it wasnt bad. But if I spend 700+ on an amp I want it to be the best I can get a quite frankly I dont think the crate cuts it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Tim-

19. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

dudeno amp is gonna be the best you can get for 700, you need like 3000. for 700 tho, you might want to check out the 5150 combo (used)

Oh wait, or the Peavey Ultra. Dude that amp is badass, its like a recto. Its only like 300 for the head. check on ebay they dont make it anymore

20. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Other sleeper hi gain/clean heads are the lee jackson ampeg vl502/1002 and crate stealths. laner aors are also nice as are sovtek/migs.