Need New OD. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TaterTaylor, Feb 28, 2012.

1. TaterTaylor

TaterTaylor Member

Same thread that's been started a billion times probably, but here is the gear I use:

Strats (one with Gilmour EMGs, the other with 59's in the bridge/neck and a hot rails in the middle by SD)

into: Crybaby 535, Digitech HardWire Tube Overdrive, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Nova Delay, into a Holy Grail.

Into: Vox AC30C2 and/or '65 TRRI

I've tried a Tubescreamer and I'm not a huge fan...doesn't mean I might not like clones though I guess. I'm looking to stay more in the mid range for gain, I never do anything too heavy.

From what I've heard, I think I may like the Lovepedal Amp11, Tim, Cool Cat TOD (That's what I've heard anyway), and the Fulldrive II.

Am I way off on what those sound like? Any suggestions on things to try? Are all of these safe bets? What are your opinions.

BTW: I'm new so I'll do the "introduction" thing here. My name's Chris from Kentucky. What's up.

2. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

Crowther Audio Hotcake.

3. Rock Steady

Rock Steady Member

Fulltone Plimsoul.

Fulltone OCD.

MXR Modified Overdirve.

4. TaterTaylor

TaterTaylor Member

Is the Tim/Timmy as good as everyone says it is? Worth the wait list? I want to get a nice "boutique" pedal, but I'm slightly nervous about paying good money for it and then possibly not liking it.

Where would you go to buy most of these? Like the Mad Professor and CMAT ones. I've heard of Mad Professor and watched some reviews, but do they have websites to purchase and stuff?

Thanks for the quick response.

5. playguitar6789

playguitar6789 Supporting Member

The Cool Cat TOD (the first version at least) is a clone of a PaulC Timmy. Sounds almost identical, but I would spend the extra cash and wait time (or there may be one in the emporium) to get a Tim or Timmy from PaulC. Great low-mid gain overdrive and stacks incredibly well with any other overdrive you might want to add.

I've heard the Amp 11 can do some things pretty similar to a Tim and Timmy.

Fulltone OCD is super versatile, not too expensive and easy to find.

I'm not a fan of the Fulldrive 2...I can't really tell you why. Just didn't seem to gel with my rig.

Recently I've been really digging Wampler pedals. Check out the Paisley Drive and the Ecstasy. Both are really great, versatile overdrives, but they are a little pricier than some others.

6. Rock Steady

Rock Steady Member

Its good. But im really happy using my MXR Modified overdrive. Sounds sweet.

7. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I think you would be perfectly happy with a Crowther Hotcake and a Skreddy Lunar Module. The Skreddy ScrewDriver might be up your alley as well. You can't go wrong with the KOT either.

8. playguitar6789

playguitar6789 Supporting Member

Tim/Timmy are as great as people have said. I don't think I've played a show in the past 3 years without using Tim or Timmy at some point. You may be able to jump the list by finding one in the emporium (a little more expensive) or by checking all of PaulC's dealers to see if there are any in stock or if they can get you on a shorter wait list.

9. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

Yes, the Tim/Timmy is as good as everyone says...maybe even better...if...you know what you are after and what to expect...

I really don't think many can go wrong giving these a try...

1) Tim/Timmy
    2) Bearfoot HoneyBee or HoneyBeest
    3) Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe
    4) Wampler Ecstasy
    5) Butler Tube Driver

10. Jeebustime

Jeebustime Member

The OCD is awesome, but if you have more money try the Tone Monk Seed of Life.

11. TaterTaylor

TaterTaylor Member

Thanks a lot guys, these are great suggestions.

From reviews on YouTube, I like

1) The MXR Modified Overdrive
    2) Mad Professor Honey Bee
    3) Fulltone OCD

12. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

What kinda music do u like and what sound are you going for? The suggestions are kinda all over the place, probably could narrow down by giving some example of what your aiming for.

13. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

OCD is can be kinda gritty, but sounds a LOT more like an amp than most pedals...

Plimsoul gets overlooked on the lower gain side of things -- this lil guy can cover a plethora of tonal miles...

Tim/Timmy --- I took a timmy in a trade & had never had the urge to try one until it fell in my lap. Once it did, I saw the light!!! WOW. WOW. WOW. The timmy (and assuming the tim can too) can also cover a lot of ground, from clean boost to the mid-heavy gain areas.

Another overdrive I took on a trade was a Zendrive clone -- another big WOW from me. Having 2 knobs to control the gain stages is a huge plus. It can also go from smooth boost, to a really gritty clean/ish boost, to some pretty hairy territory too.

Flavors, flavors, flavors -- TRY 'EM ALL!!!

14. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

If tube screamers aren't your thing, I wouldn't recommend the Full Drive 2. I bought it thinking it would be a good mid-range pedal, but wasn't really impressed.

Same thing with the Tim. After reading the hype and researching, I finally got my hands on one. Even in boost mode, I wasn't really pleased with the sound, at least for-mid gain.

I would recommend trying out some Barber effects. They've got a dirt pedal in any flavor you need. They've got the trifecta: Built well, priced well, sound phenomenal!

15. christhurman

christhurman Member

The only downside that I see to the Tim & Timmy (and this isn't even a bad thing), is that you have to make sure you like the sound of your amp. You can tweak eq and stuff on the tim(my), but it's basically going to sound like more of your amp...

16. TaterTaylor

TaterTaylor Member

I mostly play worship, but when I do cover stuff and band things, I do U2 (yeah, surprise surprise), I like to try to do John Mayer stuff, some funk and R&B (those are only with one band though so I'm not trying to build my rig around that too much). I like the maroon 5 sound a lot.

That's probably a little all over the place too, but I'm mainly focused on building it around "the Edge style." or whatever.

17. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

Edge mostly uses TS-type stuff through an AC30TB. He also uses a Big Muff and his custom Line 6 DM-4 rack unit. I know most people here say that the drives found in Line6's units such as the DM4 and the M series are okay at best, but that's what Edge uses onstage. If that's your goal, I'd say get an M5, so you have access to all those OD's/Distortions/Fuzzes. Find the ones you like, then if you want better versions of the models you use, go from there.

18. the_great_lemon

the_great_lemon Member

I love my Mad Professor SHOD CB for anything from clean-ish boosting of an overdriven amp, to running it into a sparkly clean fender.

19. klatuu

klatuu Member

And that's what makes the Tim the best OD pedal I've ever used. I've had the
    horsie Klon about 10 years ago and for all the hoopla it was OK but nothing like the Tim. A transparent OD is perfect for me. I WANT to still sound like my amp.

20. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

This is a great list, especially the Screwdriver, but for less mainstream and solid picks, look at the Blackout effectors Mantra, the Fairfiels Effects Manifold Drive, or the Blackstone Appliances Mosfet (2-channel) OD. Good luck. So many options. Just got and love the ever-hyped KOT. It lives up to the hype, even exceeds it. Also, the Barber options cannot be beat. My Small Fry was one of the most versatile drives I ever owned.