Need new pickup recommendations for ES-335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phoenix 7, Jun 8, 2006.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Lollars? WCR? Rolph? Others? The 57 Classics in the guitar now sound pretty good, but not as good as the Lollar Imperials in my Les Paul. Would appreciate people's thoughts.

2. HHB

HHB Member

I'm in love w/ the Voodoo 59's in my '81 Ibanez 335 style, a really nice combo

3. mainsale

mainsale Member

I just put a set of Lollar "Lo-wind" Imperials into my 335 along with a set of Hoveland tonecaps and I'm pleased with the results. The '57's were fine but the Lollar/Hoveland combination seem to be more articulate, woody and extremely clear sounding, but turned up still delivers that great bluesy edge that 335 are famous for. It was not a huge difference but it was significant. I would recommend this upgrade.

4. phoenix 7

Really interesting - thanks.

HHB -- I've got a set of Voodoo 59's here -- maybe I'll try them in the 335.

mainsale -- I've got Hoveland tonecaps with Lollar Imperials in my Les Paul. That combo *is* extremely clear and fat sounding. A real transformation from other setups I've tried. Did you replace any other electronics in your 335, or just the caps and the pickups? Was replacing the caps a major hassle? (Pickup changes are tough enough to do in 335's.) I think I *will* replace the stock caps along with the pickups.

5. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

In my ES-335 I have a Duncan Antiquity in the neck and a Duncan Seth Lover in the bridge....I had the Duncan Custom Shop install an aged cover on the Seth Lover so it would match the Antiquity....it's a great combination.

6. 3Tone

3Tone Member

Over on the Seymour Duncan forum, the folks always recommend the Seth Lover set for ES-335s.

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

Nope...all I replaced was the pups and caps. All else is stock. The more I play it the happier I am with the change. Having done it, if I were to di it again, I would probably upgrade the whole wiring harness as it was already out anyway. Live and learn. I'll try to post a pic over this weekend.

8. K-man

K-man Member

I recommend WCR Crossroads.

9. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

There are a bunch of pickups in that category that I really like but my favorites these days were built for me by Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe. Everything he builds just seems incredibly musical to me.

10. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

There are so many great sounding PAF type pickups out today - you've got a lot a fantastic choices and it's unlikely you'll go wrong with any of them.

For a very reasonable price the Duncan Seth Lovers are a great choice. They sound very good. Two potential negatives - 1.) they are not wax potted so they may squeal at high gain - but this is also why they sound so open. 2.) they are not available with 4 conductor wire so you can't split them. I currently have a set in my PRS HB Spruce and am very pleased.

Moving to the boutique brands - it's hard to beat WCRs and Lollars. Fralins are very good, too. Each has unique characteristics, which are well documented here on TGP. I currently own and use sets from each of these builders.

Ironically, one guitar I have not changed the pickups in is my ES335. Can't say I've never considered it. I guess the thought of fighting with the installation has kept me at bay.

11. phoenix 7

Wow, lots of compelling recommendations here. Very hard to decide! Will research all of the above suggestions. Thanks very much! Additional thoughts appreciated, too.

12. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

The best sounding guitar that I ever owned was a CS-336 that I put some Duncan Antiquities in. A forum member on here bought it and I don't think he has changed the pickups. It was full and cut extremely well, really sounded incredible compared to my Les Paul which also had Antiquities. I really feel like they make a wonderful combination.

13. LTE

LTE Member

I have some JB Player Sledgehammer pickups for you.

Trade you even for those 57s.

:messedup

14. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

How about TV Jones TV'Tron Filtertrons?

15. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Indeed. They do that sort of thing REALLY well.

16. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

Seths are great in a 335. I'm lucky enough to have a pair of Tim White's pickups in my 335, but before that I was using the Seth Lovers.

17. Shemp

Shemp Member

I'm not sure you'll find anything that sounds "better" than a set of 57s in a semi hollow. They'll maybe sound a bit different, but I like 57s in a semi.*

* I don't like 57s so much in a LP, hence I pulled the set out of my R7 in favor of a pair of Crossroads.

18. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Fralin P-92's. They're noiseless P-90's.

19. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Did they squeal etc... ? I was considering either the Lovers or Lollar imperials. THANKS!!

20. phoenix 7

Hey, I really appreciate all of the great suggestions. I don't use a lot of gain, so the Seth Lovers might work well for me. Will definitely check into all of these pickups (including the Vintage Vibe ones -- I know you know a few things about semi-hollowbodies, Jim!). Many, many thanks. :D