Need new pickups for my 62 Hot Rod Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cg, Apr 20, 2008.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Looking for more chime and sparkle than the stock pickups. Swart AST is my primary amp and I nearly always play with some level of overdrive (mild to all-out fuzz). I put a Fralin Steel Pole in the bridge that seems to be working fine. Not thrilled with the stock neck and middle pickups.

Ideas? Lollar Blonds come to mind. I have also enjoyed Suhr's vintage series pickups and Fralin pickups.

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Chance...I had the same experience with my '62HR, loved the guitar but didn't care for the voicing of the pickups. Being a fan of the Van Zandt Vintage+ pickups for a number of years, I put a set in my '62HR (but with their slightly higher output blues model in the bridge position this time) and they have the best balance of meat and clarity of any Strat pickup I've tried over the years. I think you might like the VZ's...I got mine at Mike Lull's guitar works http://www.mikelull.com .

3. cg

Thanks Vaughn!

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

I like those guitars but agree that I wish they had done something more special with the pickups.

Two neck pickups that I really like for '60s style Strats are the Rio Grande Tallboy and the Lollar Blonde.

5. hardys

hardys Member

Those are both great pups, but extremely different. I've had them both in my Strat and am currently using the Tallboys. IMHO, the Tallboys don't have much chime. I replaced the Blondes, because they were too bright and chimey in that guitar. The Tallboys are warmer and fatter and more percussive than the Blondes. If you want smooth & chimey, the Blondes are great. The Lollar Tweeds are also nice...very similar to the Blondes with a bit less low mids and bass.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

I agree; I like them both, but for different things.

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

8. cg

I absolutely love SRV's tone on Voodoo Child (Slight Return). That, so me, is the pinnacle of overdriven Strat tones. With that said, I also love the the tones on SRV's Dirty Pool and lots of Hendrix (Little Wing, Wind Cries Mary, Castles Made of Sand, etc). Can one pickup cover all this territory?

9. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I am surprised to hear that so many of you don't like the 57/62 pickups. I have heard so many great things about them. I have been interested in this guitar, & the many threads that I have read, spoke highly of the pickups.

Mark

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Are you saying that's whats in them? I haven't seen that anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wonder. I have a 62 hot rod, btw, but I'm not really familiar with the 57/62 pickups so I can't compare.

Fender's online specs simply say " 3 American Vintage Strat® Single-Coil Pickups with Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity Middle Pickup and Aged Covers."

I like them, at least for now! I imagine I eventually will get around to trying something else, of course.

11. supar6

supar6 Member

Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots. I PROMISE you will love them or stevieboy will give you the set for free!!!!

Seriously though. If you were like 2 days earlier you could have stopped out while they were in my American Strat.

12. frank62

frank62 Member

Those are great Strats! I don't think the pups are the 57/62 model which to me are the classic Strat pup. Does anyone know for sure?

13. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

+1 for the Fralin vintage hots...on the other hand, if you're all about SRV why not just go for the Texas Specials?

14. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Fralin Blue's Specials will get you where u want to go. GFS has some interesting looking single coils for good prices too but I haven't tried them myself yet.

15. hardys

hardys Member

IMHO they are really nice, vintage tone pickups.

16. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I'm the opposite. I found mine to have too much chime and sparkle, too mild mannered. I like to play with some overdrive ala SRV, Bonamassa, etc. so I dropped a Van Zandt Rock in the bridge and Texas Specials in the neck and middle. It's a real roadhouse rocker now.

17. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

Hi Stevieboy,

I am pretty sure that I read about the pickups in one of the ads for this guitar. Maybe somebody can substantiate the claim that they are indeed 57/62 pickups.

Mark

18. cg

From the Fender site: 3 American Vintage Strat® Single-Coil Pickups with Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity Middle Pickup and Aged Covers

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0100140846

19. G&L Player

G&L Player Member

Lollar Blondes, Lollar Specials (a little hotter), an my favorites, Florance Voodoo pups, really great quack on the in-betweens (does the knopfler sound dead on), and the neck and middle have a really good full sound.

20. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

They are the same as the 57/62 set except the middle pup is RWRP for hum canceling, which is what makes it different and not called 57/62. But otherwise they're the same pickups.