need new tubes for my bad cat hot cat 30r.

hw2nw

Silver Supporting Member
wsaraceni said:
just ordered about $250 of tubes.

i got the following:
1 SED (Winged C) EL34 (Matched Pair)
6 Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7
1 NOS Tesla (NOT JJ!) EL84 (Single)
1 GT-12AX7-M "Mullard" reissue
5 Shuguang 12AX7C
1 Ruby EL34BSTR matched pair
1 Ei EL84 single

i might order a few more just to try out but i think this will hold me over for a while with my hot cat and my mini cat now.

anyone know what the stock preamp tubes were in the hot cat?

Hey, what was your outcome with different preamp tubes in the Hot Cat? You may have told me in some other thread...I don't remember. I'm thinking about picking up a few preamp tubes to try some different tone-age on for fun.

Randy

Silver Supporting Member
The Hotcat doesn't need to be biased when switching power tubes - correct?

wsaraceni

hw2nw said:
Hey, what was your outcome with different preamp tubes in the Hot Cat? You may have told me in some other thread...I don't remember. I'm thinking about picking up a few preamp tubes to try some different tone-age on for fun.

for power tubes i tried the stock tubes, and the sed winged c. out of the two of them, they were both good, but the stock tubes seemed to have a little something extra. a fuller sound with a little more sparkle to it.

for the preamp i bought a bunch of the new tung sol reissues, some of the gt 12ax7-m reissues, and a bunch of the 9th gen chinese tubes. when all was said and done, i ended up with tung sol in every position except for v1, which was a 12ax7m. the tung sol is a great tube, the clean was more chimey and if you get up to the volume of breakup, it was much nicer. the gain channel was smoother but not muddy. sorry if i couldnt explain it very well, im not that good at describing tones

Trending Topics