Need OD pedal to beef up my Strat tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtw, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jtw

jtw Member

I know, I know, another OD thread :) I've been searching this site for a while, but really need some direct input on this one.

My main guitar is an already-starting-to-wear stock EJ Strat. I run it through either a Vox AC30 reissue with bulldogs or a Matchless HC30 through an Matchless 2x12 cabinet. For smaller gigs (church gigs, etc.) I use a tweed Pro Junior. Yes, I know I have a fixation with EL84s :)

Pedals I've been using:

Fulldrive II
    Soul Bender
    Zendrive
    OCD
    Keely TS9
    Klon

So far, the FDII seems to get closest, but it's not quite there. I really want to add a thick low end that will cut through nicely. I've heard the Hot Cake is very popular with the EL84 Vox-y type amps.

I know a lot of this may just be the usual guitar-player-itis that we all go throgh :)

Thanks for any tips, suggestions, pedal ideas, etc.

2. dave s

dave s Member

I've had the same problem with strat >>> matchless. Went through a bunch of OD type pedals--some really expensive ones as well.

Several people told me that the Tech 21 Double Drive was a great OD for my strat/matchless rig. Of course, since the thing only cost about $100 new, I wasn't listening.

One finally came up fs here at TGP for next to nothing, so I jumped on it. It's on my board, works GREAT and gets that low, fat tone you speak of. Definite keeper pedal!

dave

ps: I tried the FDII, Soulbender (more of a fuzz than od) and the OCD. None of these like the strat/matchless rig at all.

3. erksin

erksin Member

I don't have an EL-84 powered amp, but I did own a Hot Cake for a while - it definitely has the thick low end you're looking for. Also had an OCD (traded the Cake for it), has some big low end on tap too. I personally liked the HC better than the OCD, but neither worked for my rig...

4. Luke V

Luke V Member

To me it's hard to make a strat sound fat with an el84 amp. When I was looking for a combo I tried so many and found they had grat rythm tone but the lead tone always sounded weak.
    I bought an Orange Rocker 30 combo, and you want to talk about a fat strat tone. It is 2 el34s cathode biased. I love this thing. I don't need a pedal to fatten it up. I know this doesn't help with your original question, but this was my solution, I really wanted an el84 amp, but just couldn't find one the worked for me and my strat.
    I've heard that a fat boost does a good job. The Tim overdrive is my favorite new pedal very versatile, alot of tone shaping options, and quiet. The fulltdrive is just so noisy, I think they are unusable. By the way, I have a keeley modded ts9 which I love.

5. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

I use a Keeley compressor and a T-Rex Alberta... this combo nails the blues tone. Not to name late, great names but it does nuance their sounds.

6. radicool

radicool Member

I use a Bad Bob booster into a Barber Direct Drive. That combination really fattens ups my Strat, either into a Blues Junior or Vox Valvetronix head.
    (I've even tried it into a Crate Powerblock going into a Peavey 4x10 cab - it sounded pretty good, better than I would have thought) I find that I like the Bad Bob pushing a couple of other ODs, too: a Keeley Sparkle Drive and a Keeley BD-2. However, neither of those has the thicker bottom that you're looking for, although they are both pretty versatile.

7. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Boss OD-3. FAT low end. Great crunch for single coils.

8. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Boss OD-3. fat low end. great crunch. perfect for single coils.

:horse

9. Bradders

Bradders Member

Get a mini-Mosferatu man - my od of choice ( this week at least) Superb pedal

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

nothing says "fat" like a catalinbread sagrado poblano picoso. The super chile picoso fattens up my sound (but I use humbuckers), the SPP would seriously take you there.

www.catalinbread.com for soundclips

11. oxtone

oxtone Member

Have you tried the Radial Tonebone Classic Tube distortion pedal? I've used it for years, and it sounds great with most amps. But, you'd have to try it with your amp to see if it's a good match for it.

12. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

I run an eq pedal after my FD2 into a Pro Junior. You can play with certain freq. to get whatever sound you want. I like to boost the lower mids and bass.

13. Don L

Don L Member

FD2 or MI Audio Blue Boy does it for me with BF Fenders.

14. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I always felt that a tube screamer did the trick fine for strat players, and I've heard nothing but good things about the Keeley modded ones as well as the analog man ones. By the way LukeV, did you get that Orange at Peeler? Lyle or Jeff must have sold it to ya if you did. Do you gig around town, I too am from the glass city, maybe I've seen you around.

15. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'll mention this because it's not the norm here on the Gear Page. While all the OD's mentioned here are great, I'm suggesting you find and try a Maxon SD-9. The stock pedal set right does a lot. I got this info from John Suhr, Mike Landau has used the SD-9 for years and this is how he sets his (me too)

Drive on 1/2 or 12:00
    Volumw on 3/4 or 9:00
    now the important part
    Tone almost OFF

The pedal will give you a hugh range of OD's from breakup to full on distortion. Use your guitars volume as the gain and a volume pedal after for the level at the amp. This works great with a strat, a tone control on the bridge pup is good too.

16. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I really like the Hotcake with my Carmen Ghia... the EL84 thing maybe. It sounds great.

I also have a Hellbaby boost pedal from Tone Factor... it boosts the midrange and you can add a grit for the amp to chew on. Really beefs up my coil tap sounds on my PRS McCarty Rosewood...

17. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

IMO TUbe driven pedals as well as Fuzz pedals are best suited for NON Master volume amps such as Marshall plexis and the like.
    Man, If you cant get the low end from your Klon? I dont know ! The Klon adds Spanking Low end response and Ahimmering crystalline treble ! Excellent dynamics and retention of guitar and amp character. THat is why your not geting the lows from it.
    YOU SHOULD USE YOUR amps strengths that it has stock and not look to turn that nice amp you have their into something it is not. You ever hear the saying "Happy As A Hippo!" LOL!

18. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

If you have an Eric Johnson Strat then you have to have a good germanium Fuzz Face clone.

Here are some clips of my Fuzz Face clone with another great el84 amp, a Marshall 18 watt clone, and an 80's 62' reissue strat.

Fuzz Haze Strat Full Fuzz.mp3

Fuzz Haze Strat Pre Gain On.mp3

I am one of many good Fuzz Face clone makers out there but these clips that I had on hand seemed to relate directly to your question.