Need opinions on Burns versus BMG Brian May Red Specials

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lavely, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

I have done a half hour of research...I have always wanted a Brian May Red Special to play around with. Seems like, on the "mass produced, affordable" spectrum, there was a Burns model produced in Korea for a few years, then Brian May himself started Brian May Guitars (BMG) and put out his own model (not sure where this is produced).

I'm looking for opinions from folks that have played one or both of them. Can you compare to PRS quality for me? I don't want a junky look-alike, but if these play well (with a good setup), I may grab one!

Thanks!

2. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I've played one of the BMG models. Overall, seemed like a decent guitar. Quality-wise it seemed in line with some of the korean prs SE that Ive messed around on.

The neck was medium C-ish, not like the huge one the man has on his personal guitars.

The funny thing is that I obsessed over the red special for years as a kid, but when I had the opportunity to buy a BMG for 400, I didn't. Not my thing, apparently.

That said, I may still get one eventually. Not a bad guitar for the money.