Need opinions on pickups in my Tele

1973Marshall

So I’ve had my Tele for years now. It’s an ‘03 AVRI. It’s always remained stock but I generally found it didn’t get played as much as it deserved and part of that was feel.

Last year I took the plunge and had the neck sanded and gun oiled and fretboard re-radiused to 9.5 with 6105 frets by a pro. Plays like a dream now but it’s just not knocking my socks off.

The only other teles I’ve liked better are CS Nocasters and I simply do not want to spend the money let alone will I get this spec.

So I’m figuring last thing is the pickups. It’s a great guitar but it’s not as magical as some of my others. I want a little more punch and size to go with the big, piano-like chords things.

Since I also hate noise it felt like maybe some noiseless Dimarzio Areas would be worth a look. Otherwise I was maybe thinking the Nocaster pickups might get closer to the actual model of guitar.

Not sure what to do here. Looking for ideas. Help me love this guitar.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Lots of great Tele tone players here..They can offer great suggestions.. I’m a humbucker guy.
I had the area hot (pretty hot) in the bridge and their neck pickup cause I can’t stand single coil hum... they were just ok...... Z Coil, Fralin, Lollar are probably a better choice....If you like Danny Gattons sound he used Joe Bardens.....

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe this is just me talking about my favorite pickups, but I've had other Tele pickups - including a SD Broadcaster - and the best I've found are made by Righteous Sound. Specifically their Revelator set. LINK to a YT demo here.

Trending Topics