Need opinions with my live rig. Please?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Fishyfishfish, May 5, 2015.

1. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Got a gig coming up and I don't have an amp. What I do have is: 2 JBL315's
    A HD 300 (with the Ampeg B15 model). Has anyone tried this or should I try my best to borrow a amp. The band has two LOUD guitar players and I just wondering if this would be enough for a bar gig. Just to throw out; the amp I might be able to borrow is a SWR Red Head 2x10 combo.
    Thanks.

2. gumtown

gumtown Member

JBL315 powered speakers in a band mix? hmmm, the SWR 2x10 is marginally not much better.
    The HD300 + 2xJBL315 (280watt each) will be OK but will require some PA assist for the bottom end thump.

I have used a 500 watt powered 15" just for practice, but it lacks the bottom end a proper bass cabinet can give you.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. crackbass

crackbass Supporting Member

2 15's with about twice the wattage will be much, much louder than the redhead combo with two 10's. It might or might not sound as good. but it will be quite a bit louder. I would consider the redhead under-powered to go up against two loud guitar players, but it does have a dynamite DI that would put you back in the mix. Without PA support take the two 15's with it take the SWR.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  4. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Thanks ! Due to the responses I did a little experiment tonight with one JBL, HD300 on the B15 model and a little EQ ing, a little futzing with the knobs and butons and.....
    I think it will work. Maybe. Just hesitant about diving into bass gear again for a summer gig.
    Oh, and my friend that I have spent years and years helping out said no about borrowing the Red Head. I will be patently waiting for his next call for a favor.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

so to translate, you have a line 6 modeler going into a pair of plastic JBL eon powered speakers?

it might be OK for a lower volume gig.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

That's just as well - on a gig with 2 loud guitars(as described), you would've only blown it up, anyways - trying to keep up...

- georgestrings

7. georgestrings

As usual, Walter is spot on -sounds to me like you need a fairly decent bass rig for your upcoming situation, or you're going to blow up some stuff trying to keep up - and it's also going to suck, during the process...

I would not even attempt playing with 2 loud guitars without atleast a 410 or 215, pushed by 400-500 watts... FWIW, I'm currently in exactly that type of situation, and I've been using either a Mesa Bass 400 or a Genz-Benz Shuttlemax 12.0 into a Mesa PH215...

In my fairly extensive experience as a gigging bassist, it's far better to have too much rig and not push it hard than it is to have a borderline rig being over-taxed... The over-taxed rig won't sound that great, and eventually will experience a failure - whereas the "too much rig" setup will always sound great, be stone reliable because it's not working hard - and can always be turned down for quiet settings...

- georgestrings

8. georgestrings

If it's just one gig, you'll be better off either borrowing or renting a proper rig sized appropriately for the gig's needs...

- georgestrings

9. jimfist

jimfist Member

If you're going to use a modeler into full range PA cabinets - especially ones in the sub $800 pro-sumer range - then pay special attention to EQing the sub low region below 80Hz (roll-them off or high-pass). In addition, compression is your friend, so, don't be afraid to engage a compressor in the Line 6 HD300 at the end of the virtual signal path. It will help tame transients in general, and allow you to get the most output from these speakers.

That said, I gig all the time with modelers going into a pair of 15" coaxial (passive) cabinets, and they keep up with 2 guitarists and a loud drummer in a hard rock/metal format...and I play LOUD.

I would recommend this: see if you can elevate one or both of the Eon cabinets on a tripod(s) so that you can literally aim it in an optimum position for you to hear it clearly. When you do this, you'll find that you don't need ear-shattering volume to be able to hear your bass articulated well. It looks weird, but IMHO can sound pretty amazing. If you're at all worried about keeping up with other loud players, try this.

I also think that you might be surprised by how well these Eons can keep up. Try it at rehearsal and see how it goes.

10. crackbass

crackbass Supporting Member

^^^Yea that's pretty much it. You won't sound as nice as George's awesome rig, but I'd bet you'll make it through the gig with good tone and no complaints from the audience and your fellow band members. If you bump the 250hz ish area of your EQ, things will get even better for you in the mix.

11. jimfist

jimfist Member

^^^ Yup. I think the typical rock bassist tends to over-value the sonic region below 80Hz for stage monitoring purposes. A lot of the time, subwoofer frequencies that are too prominent just muck things up for everyone. Let the kick drum live down there, and then have the "meat" of the bass tone reside in the first harmonic of the low notes (above 80hz). Especially if you lock your bass groove with the drummer's kick drum, you'll never miss the minimized sub frequencies, and the entire stage mix will benefit.

However, YMMV, and if the style of music requires strong sub freqs from the bass guitar, so be it.

A pair of 15" powered PA speakers, if placed properly, should give you a workable solution for a one-off gig.

12. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Thanks again. For the record, if this was ten years ago I would still have a Impulse 600 with a 4x10 Ephiphany cab, but since the big flop of 07 and the flakey-ness of the bands/gigs in my area I am a little gunshy about gearing up and setting out on my own

13. jimfist

jimfist Member

The good news is that there is a TON of decent used gear glutting the market at bargain prices.

14. georgestrings

Understandable - my post was based on my past experiences with playing bass thru PA speakers or monitors, and/or trying to keep up in a loud band setting with too small a rig - none of those have been my idea of fun, FWIW...

Here's wishing you the best of luck on it...

- georgestrings

15. jchan

jchan Member

I suggest you stick with the combo amp and focus on playing the best you can.

16. jimfist

jimfist Member

FWIW, I sold my 2x10 SWR Redhead because my modeler and full range cab setup outperformed it pretty easily. Done with good components, a modeler & full range speaker rig can be every bit as rewarding as a traditional bass or guitar rig. Of course, YMMV, JMHO.

17. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

UPDATE: Talked things over with the boss lady and I am picking up an Eden head
    that I found over at Talk Bass. I can use a little Boogie EV cab for now, and eventually pick up something with more thump when I sell off some guitar gear. Yippy Skippy!

18. jimfist

jimfist Member

19. bamboo633

bamboo633 Member

There are only two situations for bass as far as I can tell, you either have PA support or you don't.

If you have it, your amp is just a monitor to help you hear. A small amp tilted or lifted up closer to ear level is just as effective as a monster rig.

If you don't have it you need multiple cabs for larger gigs. It is easier to get loud with multiple speakers than it is with amp wattage. I used to run 2 efficient 4X10s with an SWR Bass 350 head and it could kill small animals at 40 paces. This will get you over the drums and if no one is miced that should be enough.

That being said, now I use a pedalboard with tuner-compressor-speaker sim w/DI and use the house monitors to hear myself if I have PA support. No cabs, no amps.

If I don't have house support I use a GK 700RBII (about 500W) and a pair of fEARless 12/6 cabs which has always been loud enough, even outside.

Please keep in mind that I play to get paid. The simpler, more reliable my rig and the easier it is to carry the better. If I was going for the last 1% of tone, that realistically the audience is totally unaware of anyways, I would use an SVT and 8X10.

There is so much good gear out there today it is hard to go wrong. Of course if you are already a member at TalkBass you will be experiencing most of it soon enough. :drool