Need overdrive for Matchless - HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Benniefrank, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Benniefrank

Benniefrank Member

I recently bought a Matchless Clubman 35, it is an awesome amp with the most beautiful clean tone I have ever heard!

However, I would like to add some overdrive to it but I don't know where to start on pedals.
    I was suggested a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, and a Fulltone Fulldrive.

Any other suggestions?

2. asintoras

asintoras Member

I guess that nobody give you an answer because they need to know what kind of sounf are you looking for.
    By the way, Matchless overdrives are wonderful by themselves, but of course, you'll need to crank the volume up to get that sound or tone.
    Have you tried?

3. Snakum

Snakum Member

I have a Ceriatone DC30, which is similar, and while my beloved Bad Monkey covers up the wonderful sparkle and chime a bit, my MojoDrive's Clean Boost setting sounds like the amp ... cranked. So I'd have to rule out any TS-based pedal, based on my own experience.

And so that leaves the MojoDrive's Clean Boost mode, and other pedals that sound/feel similar: Klon, CMATMods Signa Drive, FullTone FatBoost 2, Keely Java Boost, etc. I'll bet the FullDrive don't sound so good wid it. :(

4. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

COT 50 is great, as is the Eternity. My preference much of the time is my Time Machine Boost, though.

5. mild

mild Member

I like my Timmy with mine. Eternity is good too.

6. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've got two that I really like with my Matchless amps - Clubman 35 included.

Clark Gainster - very transparent, low/medium gain overdrive. Excells as a boost as well.

Blackstone - brown channel is very transparent (like the Clark) with plenty of juice on tap if you need it. The red channel really amps things up if you want it to - but, the tone of your guitar and amp still shines through.

Both are outstanding, IMO.

I've also read here that the OCD is a great choice but, I haven't played one.

7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Read the Throbak Overdrive Boost thread.

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

Good luck! I happen to be rehearing at a room that had one of these amps. I fell in love with the clean for sure! I tried several ODs with it and it seemed to take them all very well.

9. fizbin

fizbin Member

Have you tried the FD2 in comp cut mode? That's my rig right there. Sounds great. I run an A/B into the DC30 clone with an OCD on channel two, FD2 on channel 1.

10. Snakum

Snakum Member

Naaahhh ... with the MojoDrive and a Bad Monkey there's nothing I can't cover already. From Tom Petty sparkle to Van Halen 'brown' to Stone Temple Pilots' cranked JCM to SRV's cranked Vibro ... just these two pedals and a G&L Legacy with a humbucker in the bridge lets me cover every song we do from country to almost-metal.

I roll back the fat boost pot on the Legacy, switch to the middle pickup and step on the Mojo set to clean boost with low gain and I can do Skynyrd, with the Monkey for boosting the leads. Then roll the fat boost pot up, crank the Mojo's Clean Boost gain to max and switch to the Hot Rails bridge pickup, add a delay, and I'm ready for 'Ain't Talk'n Bout Love' and have the Monkus for the lead. For Stevie Ray I switch to the neck/middle, set the fat boost pot to about 5, set the MojoDrive mode to Tube Screamer with medium gain and goose the treble ... I'm there, with a Bad Monkey again for boosting the lead lines on Texas Flood.

My rig now does it all. I only want a LoveKraft Chupacabra so I don't have to bend down and change anything during a set, and ToneJamFX's Spank'd Monkey for less compression and more articulation.

11. MarcFord

MarcFord Senior Member

ocd works for my clubman... very nice.

12. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

I've got a Chieftain head and I actually don't care at all for the overdrive it produces. Anything past 6 or 7 on the pre-amp and it gets very farty and bassy. Unuseable for me.
    With the master cranked and pre-amp volume anywhere from 1 to 6 it has a fantastic sound.
    Dialed in like this I've had good luck with an OCD, and a Sparkle Drive.
    I've tried my TS-808, and SD-1 through it and didn't care for it nearly as much

13. fizbin

fizbin Member

Fair enough, but you specifically recommended against the FD and of course you're entitled to say that, but wasn't sure if you'd really given it a thorough trial. I think the comp cut mode opens it up considerably, taking it far outside of TS territory - more in the range of a clean booster, but not really too clean if you don't want. The FD with comp cut is a pretty versatile pedal. I get clean with it bypassed, grit with it engaged, then lead level with the boost switch on all one channel, all while maintaining sparkle.

14. JMarck

JMarck Member

You should try an Eternity with the Matchless.

15. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Lovekraft Mojo is what I use. It's small, easy to use, and reasonably priced.

16. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

OCD - works great.

17. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

you need a pedal without a mid-hump to hit the Clubman right. OCD V1 is the best I've come across. All those Tube Screamer clones don't do the amp justice at all. Also try a Dallas-Rangemaster style treble booster. I use both (OCD & BeanoBoost) & get the best tones I've ever gotten.