Need Pedal Advice: Acoustic/Electric Rhythm for Worship

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jemac, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Jemac

Jemac Member

Hey guys,

I am a worship leader, and looking at investing in a few pedals to expand my tonal horizons a bit. Currently I am primarily Rhythm acoustic, but will be getting an electric in a few months, so ideally whatever pedals I acquire will work for both.

I own a TU-2, Radial DI Pro (Passive) and just bought a DD-20, which I am super stoked to start playing with. To keep it simple, I am thinking about picking up a reverb pedal, volume pedal, and potentially a compressor/active DI that I can do some EQ with. I would like to keep this as cost effective as possible, so I will probably be going with used wherever possible.

I have done some research into verb pedals, and it seems like the Hall of Fame is a popular/versatile crossover pedal for acoustic/electric players, but there seem to be a TON of really cool verb pedals, so I have been having a hard time picking a direction.

Again, I am a rhythm player, but really love ambient/swell-y type worship tunes, and I would imagine that when I start playing with electric more and more, I will start experimenting with looping these kinds of ambient sounds (not sure if that helps or not).

Anyways, that is enough from me - I am totally new to this world, and would really love y'alls advice!

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

2 drives, reverb, and a delay should be plenty. Maybe throw in a volume pedal. For reverb, there are lots of choices. The HOF is a good choice. You can get a lot of different sounds.

3. Jemac

Jemac Member

"Drive" is new to me - what is this?

4. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

You will want an overdrive for when you have an electric guitar, but if you don't have an amp, you'll probably want an amp/cab sim pedal like a tech 21 liverpool. Tc electronic hall of fame is a great pedal, though it doesn't go 100% wet for reverb. I would go a drive type pedal over a compressor if you are serious about entering into the world of the electric guitar. a few reverb alternatives would he an EHX holy grail, or a neunaber wet.

5. KirschwasserFromAShell

KirschwasserFromAShell Member

"Drive" is shorthand for either overdrive or distortion. If you're exploring electric guitar, you'll likely want to have this kind of sound as an option. I would suggest starting with one overdrive (a.k.a. "drive") just to get a feel for that kind of sound and feel. There are LOTS of options at your disposal. Since cost is a factor, you might consider a Boss SD-1, or BD-2.

Since opinions are vast on any kind of gear, you might consider examining a favorite band/player whose tone you like and use them as a starting point for the kind of gear you might need. For instance, if you like Hillsong United, you'll likely be looking at some kind of overdrive, some kind of delay (DD-20 which you have), a good volume pedal for the swells (I like the Ernie Ball VP Jr.) and a good reverb. If you like Lincoln Brewster, you're looking at single coil guitars (stratocaster) with overdrive and maybe some compression.

The rabbit hole can get deep...