Need pedal for semi-dirty tones-Please help!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by frankiestarr, Jul 21, 2008.

1. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

Hey everyone

I use fender amps and mainly Gibson guitars.....I get great Fender cleans, and a lovely overdriven lead sound.....But lately I have been trying to get that in-between sound. Not totally overdriven, but not squeaky clean....My twin won't break up on it's own unless I reall crank it.
    I tried the RC booster, it actually seemed a little harsh to me, I splurged and bought a honey bee, so so results.....What else do you guys like for this? I was thinking of trying a AC booster, or a Barber LTD.....

Thanks for the help in advance....

2. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

I have two pedals that I really like for what you're describing. The first is the Toadworks Leo, Jr. Very affordable, very nice Fendery tones. It also seems dialed in just absolutely perfectly as far as the freq's go-- never harsh, but cuts right through. It's a two knob affair, to you don't get much of a choice, but 1) again, the eq is right on the money as far as I'm concerned (and it sounds like you're concerned, as well), and 2) the range of the gain knob is so flexible I can't see it needing more knobs. But then again I haven't tried the Lil' Leo, which has a tone control... who knows.

I know some have complained about the noise factor on this one, but to me the tone more than makes up for it. I've also heard it quiets up in a loop... okay, enough about that one:

The other pedal is the NOC3 Firefly. Very different tone from the Toadworks, but a great mild OD flavor in its own right. Again, never harsh, but plenty of range from the tone knob. Very smooth, with a very tight bass response, but never the 'clinical' too smooth tones I hear in pedals like the ZenDrive (not knocking the Zen drive, just too smooth for me).

Hope this is helpful!

3. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I've used an FD-2 and a Marshall Blues Breaker clone both for that
    application.
    I'd be definitely interested to check out that NOC3 Firefly and the Toadworks as well.

4. giggedy

giggedy Member

100%, sounds like you're describing KOT.

5. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

You typed out those 3 beautiful letters before I could!

1,000% KOT

:AOK

6. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

Recently, my favorite pedal for this tone is my Sunface with the volume rolled back.

7. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

8. gsabel

gsabel Member

give the durham zia drive a try.

9. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

You answered your own question with the Barber LTD. MI Audio Blues Pro is also quite good, with some more gain on tap.

10. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

2nd on the toadworks, but I use the death rattle to do the same. It can get that in between VERY touch sensitive breakup level at bedroom volumes on up. It's awesome for that, then kick in a boost (internal in the DR) or another drive pedal to take it up a notch.

11. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

Had the AC booster. With my Les Paul Classic [ ceramic high output 'buckers] I found it fed back a little too easily. But I did like the AC as a pedal - it certainly has presence and a good cut-through-the-mix factor. Almost like an Eternity without the fullness in the mids that the E can have [ note I said "fullness" rather than "hump"]

12. pbone

pbone Member

Everyone loves the KOT, but it's two bluesbreakers in a box, and it's $400. Try the Voodoo Labs sparkle drive.

13. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

there are so many great low-med gain overdrives....but my flavor of the week is the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine...it's a cool pedal... pretty inexpensive as far as boutique stuff goes

14. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

LTD, better yet LTD SR, even better Barber Custom Cool.

15. Joses

Joses Member

The Hotcake does what you want very well!

16. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

Well.....I got nuts, and pulled the trigger on a AC Booster, Cot 50 Gold, and a Lovepedal Super 6....Pro Guitar Shop offers a 45 day return policy! If I no likey likey, I send backy.....But the way I see it, you can never have enough cool dirt pedals!

17. bushmill

bushmill Member

Timmy....and it does more, too! :AOK

18. Burgs

Burgs Member

Win. :AOK

19. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Frankie, I like my OCD for that edge of breakup tone. Maybe you've tried one, if not you can try mine sometime. This pedal works well with the guit. vol., as it will clean up with lower vol. or picking dynamics.

20. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

FS, when I saw you a few weeks ago at Savannah, and you asked me what new toys I got, I kinda kept it on the "down low" cause of the wifey. She really doesnt know the degree of my "gas" habit. I did purchase an Am. Deluxe Strat "V" Maple 2TSB, and I just recently pulled the trigger on a PRRI. Great combo together, guit. sounds pretty nice with the SCN"s, I like it quiet on stage, and the PRRI sounds great out of the box. CYA around.