Need Pickup and re-wiring suggestion

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Johnnythunders, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

I'm not happy with the sound from my white Hamer 81 Special and white 82 sunburst so I want to go top of the line and looking for suggestions on what to put in and where to buy it. Thinking?

RS Guitar works super pots not sure short or long shaft? What kind of cap?

One guitar is for fast punk with distortion but not too much so I'm thinking maybe a WCR Filmore or Goodwood. By the way I like Jbs for reference. The other is for slow stoner rock and I'm thinking Gibson Iommi or ?????

Amp is Orange RockerVerb 50 and Cornford Harequine both dark/middy in my opinion. Cabs are 2x12 with v30's and Harry/Joyce.

What do you guys think?

2. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey man,

I just installed a set of Manlius pickups into my PRS CE-24 today and I was totally blown away!!! He will wind anything you want, and his prices are great! Check him out @ http://www.manliusguitar.com/ . I can't say enough about his pickups. I like Jim Wagners stuff too, so you are safe with either Manlius or WCR in my book.

I used an RS Guitarworks McCarty upgrade kit and it makes a difference too, definately go with them! Good luck on the search man!

3. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

A big +1 on the Manlius pickups. Incredible quality at a ncie price. Ditto for the High Orders and Jon Moore.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Are these guitars stock with DiMarzios?

If so, fit them with Duncan '59/JBs, and you're done - you already like JBs, why look elsewhere? Don't replace the electrics, the stock stuff is extremely high quality and the pots have the special Hamer taper, which really works well.

Don't fit expensive boutique parts that are either designed for an entirely different sound than what you want, or no quality upgrade.

(IMO of course.)

5. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

So John,
    Are you saying I.Y.O. the entire Dimarzio line is inferior?
    Have you tried each one? Or is it the name itself?
    I'm curious as to how someone can make such an all encompassing statement like that.

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Where did I say the entire DiMarzio line was inferior, or even one model? I'm curious as to how someone could make such an over-reacting assumption from the post above.

:confused: :rolleyes:

I actually like the PAF Pro and the Super Distortion in particular.

Yes, I personally prefer Duncans generally - in Hamers and elsewhere - but if you actually read what I said, it was: why buy expensive pickups (WCRs) which are designed for a very different tone (ie Duane Allman) than what the poster was asking for (fast punk with distortion and stoner rock) when he already knows he likes the Seymour Duncan JB, which did come stock - along with a '59 in the neck - in later Hamers, and which definitely sound great in those guitars.

I did not say anywhere that DiMarzios are inferior... or WCRs for that matter. They are simply different.

Also, why 'upgrade' the stock Hamer electronics which are already extremely high-quality carefully-spec'ed parts to basically the same thing marketed by a different company.

ie, don't assume that 'boutique' parts are always going to be an improvement.

And please don't imply that I've said things which I haven't.

7. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Sorry John,
    I guess I misunderstood when you said:

"Are these guitars stock with DiMarzios? If so, fit them with Duncan '59/JBs, and you're done"

I took that to imply that Dimarzio's are in some way not as good? How could I have thought that huh?

Anyway, it is just your opinion, of which we are all certainly entitled and clearly stated.

HJ

8. Icetech

Icetech Member

I prefer Rio grandes myself...

9. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Ok I'm going with manlius HepKats on recommendation after discussions with the owner, nice guy and nice price. And since I like JBs I'm going with that in the other. Iommis were $270 a set and WCR were also too expensive for me. Thanks.