• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need power amp help / best tube power for money'

klbabcock11

Silver Supporting Member
Hi. I have another regular nice rig . I want to get a power amp and 112 combo for my pod hd500x for church and certain gigs . Any advice on a good tube power amp to get . I'm able to dial some great amp tones with this thing just need some tube warmth and 3d sound . Any help /advice would be great .

drwiddly

Tube power amps are always heavy unless you go for a lower wattage amp like a Marshall 20/20. I use a Mesa 2:90 with my Ultra and it sounds superb.

A couple of months ago, I got a very good deal on a VHT 2:50:2. I was fairly impressed with it and I liked the difference of the EL34's from the Mesa's 6L6's. After a month or so, it started making loud popping sounds so I decided to do a re-valve. I put a set of JJ EL34L's in and replaced the pre section with premium JJ 12AX7 & 12AU7 tubes. Only did this yesterday but the Ultra sounds great through the VHT now. If you can find a used one at a good price, it's a very good power amp.

For a cheaper option there are a couple of good Peavey tube power amps. Not sure if they're still making them but you see a few used ones for good prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klbabcock11

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the info so far guys . What about something like a SS like a art sla 2 or something . Would that get me going or don't waste my time ?

wcfields

Supporting Member
The SLA2 is a pretty good choice for the money IMO....I have an SLA1 and it works great for me...

drwiddly

The best SS power amp I've used is the Matrix but they're expensive. Next best was a Rocktron Velocity 300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
Anything under 500 ?
Not tube, but some of the new Quilter stuff is nice. I have a 200 watt (Q-Topper) head that's small and Weighs about 3 lbs. They just came out with a small pedalboard amp, which might meet your budget.

Baba

As far as tubes go, the Carvin TS100 (used) fits your requirement of lower cost, lower weight than almost all EL-34/6L6 power amps.

I haven't heard an SLA, but I've owned MosValves and Velocitys, and they do not sound exactly the same as a tube power amp, IMO.

If you're looking for that 3d tube tone and know what it sounds/feels like, it might be a waste of time to go SS.

Something to look into would be one of the old peavey hybrid "classic series" combos (not a classic 30 or 50). Find one with an effects loop and go into the power amp in. I did this for a while and got a pretty good sound. They can be found used all over craigslist, the guitar center used site, and ebay, usually in the $200 range.

chrisjnyc

go solid state... tubes are heavy and cost a lot more

ART SLA
Carvin
Matrix
EHX Magnum
Atomic amp

Nazgul666

+1 for the Rocktron velocity. The newer ones have that reactance control and it really lets you dial in a good feel. I ran a Digitech IPB-10 through mine and it sounded great live.

RipperShred

+1 for the Rocktron velocity. The newer ones have that reactance control and it really lets you dial in a good feel. I ran a Digitech IPB-10 through mine and it sounded great live.
Yeah dude! I sold both my mesa 2:100 and 2:Ninety power amps and stuck with my Velocity 300; not because it sounded better, but because it sounded comparable, is like less than half the weight, takes up only one rack space instead of two, and there is zero tube maintenance.

Those pros far outweigh the marginal difference in tone! Velocity 300 all the way!

guitarmike

I bought a MoaValve MV-962 and as long as I keep the presence down it really makes my Kemper shine. Paid $150 shipped on Ebay.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom