Need pup help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sharpshooter, Jan 27, 2015.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

OK, so I've got a '72 Guild S-100, with a Seymour Duncon '59 in the neck,
    and a JB in the bridge, utilizing the stock series/parallel switch.
    Because of the music I now play, I would like to replace the JB with something that is lower output/sweeter.
    I would go for another '59, but I like the option of the coil switch.
    As a reference, my LP has the 490R/498T set-up, I like the 490, not so much the 498.
    So, I guess my question is, replace the JB with another '59, and give up the coil switch,, or replace the JB with a 490T, and get to keep the switch,, or perhaps there is a better option(s).
    What say you guys who have more pup knowledge than me.

2. Becksley

Becksley Member

3. rummy

rummy Member

You can get the '59 bridge pickup with 4 wires. Wouldn't that allow you to use the coil switch?

4. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Looking more closely at the site, yes, I see where the '59 is available in four conductor wiring,, I just might have to try one of those, I really did'nt want to spend the price of a Gibson 490T.
    Thanks

5. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Update, since I liked the '59/JB set in the Guild, I decided to up-grade the
    Gibson, instead of replacing the 498T with a 490T, (after seeing Gibsons prices), decided to just replace both pups.
    So, replaced the 490R/498T set with a pair of '59s, 7.4 neck, 8.1 bridge.
    After much reading here on TGP, I decided to go for the whole job. Took out the Gibson PCB, and rewired with 500K CTS pots, orange drop caps, and '50s wiring.
    Yes,, now the guitar acts and sounds right, It really made a big diff in the sound, the guitar has a healthy/un-choked sound, with real clarity,, plus lots of beef.
    Very pleased with the results, the tone is real vintage, and, suprisingly, brighter than I expected. Now the Gibson is going to get a lot more play time.

6. rummy

rummy Member

Awesome! Glad you like the change now.