Need rap/electronic Recording/Production Set-up Advice

reo73

My 13 year old son is into a lot of rap and computer generated music and I want to get him a basic set-up for him to start producing his own beats and sounds. I have no idea where to start.

Is there a good basic and reasonably priced set-up that would work with a Windows 10 PC? He is looking for a lot of beats and rhythm sounds.

speakerjones

Native Instruments Maschine. It's a hardware/software solution. $350 is the price of entry for the base model hardware (Mikro) (software comes with it). It integrates well with protools and I assume other DAW's as well.

cjcayea

cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce
yeah, machine is good. he'll want a daw too- you have some good choices with ableton live, bigwig studio, and fruity loops. all of those tend towards the electronic musician, and all have different price points. personally, I'd go for Live + Maschine

cubistguitar

For electronic music Abelton Live is excellent. I use it for a standard DAW as well, but sometimes as use it as my beat machine and it has some fantastic abilities. If you can at least do the standard edition it is very good, with the suite and some packs you never need anything else.

reo73

For electronic music Abelton Live is excellent. I use it for a standard DAW as well, but sometimes as use it as my beat machine and it has some fantastic abilities. If you can at least do the standard edition it is very good, with the suite and some packs you never need anything else.
Do you use it with a piece of hardware also or just the software?

JCM 800

Most often you will use an interface of some kind. There are tons of USB interfaces that will work with Windows.

You can build the tracks in your DAW but you will need a way to monitor and for the output of your DAW.

cubistguitar

I use it with my Scarlett 6i6 interface. Great little box for audio in/out. I also use a midi keyboard that has pads and knobs and faders, you can pretty freely assign any controls to any ableton controls. A friend works for a small studio that cranks out podcasts and he does the music for the intros outs, filler and he records the spoken word. For music production he has a PUSH controller and almost never touches the screen anymore. He can do almost everything he wants from that hardware. I am not an electronic musician perse, but I use some of those textures and beat machines and synths etc, and haven't been inspired to spend on PUSH for myself, I am interested in recording mics and mixing them.

I guess the electronic capabilities keep me interested in ableton though, I use it to make drum beats that never exactly repeat by using some of the clip behavior controls in ableton. You can setup the clips in the session view to act as though it has some random things happening, all controlled randomness, but it works to mix things up.

I think edm producers consider ableton the top product

Last edited:

Trending Topics