Need realtime help, Texas special HSS wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by StompBoxBlues, Feb 7, 2006.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hi guys, I know you all are great helps, and I truly need it.

I am helping a friend replace the neck and middle pickup on his HSS Strat, with two texas specials.

We have the two out, but THEN I notice the Texas special note that "the middle pickup is reverse wound for noise reduction"...

And I wondered. So far the plan was to wire up exactly as the Noiseless were (they have one extra lead, green to ground that the Texas don't), but now I am wondering if I need to re-reverse the middle one (i.e. use white as black and black as white) to make it work right...if there can be problems with the humbucker in the bridge position.

He has a S-1 switch on his also by the way.

Should I just hook up the same as they came out?

Thanks...we're right in the middle of this and then I thought...I can ask here.

THANKS!!

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

RW/RP pickups usually have the wires coded the same as the normal versions, so it should be black to ground and white to switch. In any case if you wire it the wrong way around you will notice immediately due to the very quiet, thin and trebly tone of the neck + mid position. If that happens just reverse the wires and problem solved.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks. It's nighttime here in Norway, but I realized I could call a fender repair dealer in the US and maybe get advice. He advised the same, to wire like the ones that came out.

Worked great! The only thing, the guys' S-1 switch is broken (was before we started) and though neck, neck and mid, mid, and bridge (humbuckers) worked fine, the position (2nd) between bridge and mid DID sound thin and scrawny...but if I pushed the button down it sounded fine...

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Now that I think about it. I wonder...

The two Texas special pickups are working just beautifully together, each one alone or together...but when the switch is between the humbucker and the middle it gets REALLY thin, loses a LOT of volume.

So I'm starting to think, should I maybe have reversed the wiring on the Humbuckers?

Anybody?

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Yes, you should either reverse the humbucker or both SCs, which would have the same effect.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks! That's good to hear. I'll hve to see which have enough lengths on their leads, to see which is easiest to rewire, but hoping I can do just the humbucker alone, since it is the one out from the other two.