• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need recommendation on low tension Steel acoustic guitar strings

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I'm buying some strings for my nephew who's just starting to learn the guitar. I had previously bought him some steel acoustic strings that were easier to fret (on the recommendation of the guy working at the store). I'm guessing they were low tension.

Any recommendations? I've done a search but can't find any-I can only find low tension nylon string. I can get extra light, but just wondering if there are low tension steel strings for acoustic.

Suave Eddie

I recently discovered these.
The New John Pearse® #510L & #610LM SILKS
They are not 'silk and steel'
They seem to have less tension than other strings of the same gauge.
Here's the manufacturer's discription:
The exciting new SILKS sets mark a departure from orthodox acoustic string design. Formulated for the electric guitarist who doubles on acoustic, this set features a never before possible "playing ease" tension married with the warmth and projection for which our acoustic strings are famous. Our triple annealed mild steel is pulled through a draw plate to make an extra skinny core. Onto this is wound a silk multifilament which cushions a phospor bronze winding. This is NOT a silk and steel set. The natural edginess of the phosphor bronze winding is tempered by the silk cushion to produce a tone that studio players everywhere are likening to our 80/20 bronze sets after they have been played in. Steve Sheehan, lead guitarist with the Judds, asked us to make this set. Guitarists all over America are thanking him!

Reactions: BMX

DaveKS

I'm buying some strings for my nephew who's just starting to learn the guitar. I had previously bought him some steel acoustic strings that were easier to fret (on the recommendation of the guy working at the store). I'm guessing they were low tension.

Any recommendations? I've done a search but can't find any-I can only find low tension nylon string. I can get extra light, but just wondering if there are low tension steel strings for acoustic.
The lighter the gauge, the lower the tension. That's way it has always worked.

Get him some Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze 10-50, those things really do punch and project way above their gauge for acoustic strings. Long lasting too.

10's are the lightest you'll find for acoustic.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom