Need recommendations for a tremolo pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SirSpamAlot, Nov 14, 2019.

1. SirSpamAlot

SirSpamAlot Member

Nothing fancy, the cheaper the better, and preferably on the small side.

Are there any standout models that fit that description?

Bonus if it can get that squishy brownface tremolo sound.

Kevy_Metal likes this.
  2. chromewaves

chromewaves Member

Mooer Trelicoptor, or other chinese knockoffs of, pretty much wins the small and cheap and good trem pedal crown.

monty and skiltrip like this.
  3. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

I just picked up a used Voodoo Labs Tremolo with a real optical circuit. It runs about $100 used in good condition. I like it much more than the digital trems I had before. Lots of adjustability in terms of wave type, depth, and volume. It can really chop hard for "How Soon is Now" or warble gently (a la Steve Cropper doing Stax-Volt arpeggiated chords).

It is not the cheapest and it's not particularly small, however.

4. skiltrip

skiltrip Member

Was looking for the same. Just grabbed one off Reverb. I have a tiny little spot left on my PTjr that I wanted to jam a little Tremolo in. I'm gonna wedge it in there somehow!

monty likes this.
  5. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

I used the Joyo Tremolo extensively for a few years. I got a great price on a Source Audio True Spring, so I couldn't pass it up. Regardless, this thing sounds fantastic to my ears; really nice wave, can go from subtle to pretty choppy, and there is a *tiny* volume boost on certain settings. Killer for the $20-$30 price tag!

[​IMG]

6. holoholo

holoholo Member

Mr Black Mini Tremolo?

If you're going for cheap, I'm surprised the Mooer Trelicopter gets recommended over the Mooer Triangolo. Trelicopter is for chop. Triangolo can do chop and also bias style as well as triangle. And it also has tap and the glitchy X (random) setting.

Jack DeVille likes this.
  7. chromewaves

chromewaves Member

Trelicoptor has been around so long it's the reflex answer to these questions. The Trianglo is newer and also digital, which may or may not matter to folks.

8. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Had the Hotone trem for short stint because at the time I wasn’t using my fenders. Compared to the onboard BF/SF thing I thought it was very close. Then I went back to using fenders and gave the Hotone to my buddy. But if harmonic trem is what you’re looking for then I suggest checking out the surfy trem. I don’t know how accurate the brown side is but the black side was spot on with my onboards and the brown side was a really nice texture.

9. HHKeegan

HHKeegan Member

The Boss TR-2 is one of the few pedals I've sold and then ended up buying another one of. Their simple controls are great and they sound quite good but have a more restricted range than say ... the $300 Diamond and Strymon ****.

Get an analogman one with the volume drop problem corrected for $100 and you're golden.

10. SirSpamAlot

SirSpamAlot Member

The Triangolo looks really good to me. It doesn't really matter to me that it's digital, so long as it sounds good.

11. Laservampire

Laservampire Member

Honestly I’m a trem nut and I’d say Source Audio Vertigo any day of the week.

Works amazing straight from the box but also insanely tweakable.

Bias trem (sine) is fat and throbby like an old tube amp, Opto sounds like a 60s Fender amp (unlike the Flint) and the Harmonic brown face mode is amazing.

The shape and volume knobs are a huge bonus as well, there isn’t a tremolo sound I haven’t been able to cop with this thing. And the price is extremely reasonable!

edwardz, Adagietto and Fantastic cook like this.
  12. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Swamp Thang is your journeys end....

Norrin Radd 1966 likes this.
  13. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

Mr. Black mini tremolo. Has the bonus harmonic trem.

dmutter, geek-mo and Jack DeVille like this.
  14. Fantastic cook

Fantastic cook Member

Agree completely. I have a few, including an Ultrem, Throbby, Sonar, Super Pulsar, Pareidolia, Chopper, Tremulus Lune, and a couple more. The Vertigo is the one I go to most. Add the stereo capabilities, midi (128 presets available), deeper access to virtually all parameter adjustment if you want it, tap tempo, programmed patterns, modulation hybrids, and routing options it gives the user, and it's hard to beat. And even if you choose not to do ANY of that stuff, it still sounds great. My $.02

Damn... Source Audio should pay me for this.

15. mjl577655

mjl577655 Member

When did the answer to this question stop being Danelectro Tuna Melt?

16. chromewaves

chromewaves Member

when they went out of production? I haven't seen the same kind of love for the current Dano Filthy Rich despite also being small, having the same controls, not quite as funky-looking, and also cheap.

17. HughesP

HughesP Member

Trem is possibly my favourite effect ever and I've owned a bunch.

I recently went to a store and tried out a bunch of trems - these are my feelings from that day, but YMMV:

Favourites from this trip: Boss TR-2, TC electronic Choka tremolo, Mr. Black trem, voodoo labs

Others I tried that day: Wampler latitude, chase bliss gravitas, catalinbread valcoder, earthquaker hummingbird.

I walked out with the Mr. Black Trem. Bias trem is my favourite, and this just nails what I want, plus it has beautiful harmonic trem, all for the same price as a TR-2. It is the first digital tremolo that I have ever really loved. The Choka is a TR-2 clone, from what I gather, both of which are great and classics. The voodoo labs one is super musical, but I wanted something smaller on my board..

The wampler latitude was good, but no better than a TR-2 for me, at twice the price.
    Gravitas probably could have benefited from 18V, but a 9V, in the store, it suffered from headroom problems when all I want is a simple tremolo.
    The valcoder also had headroom issues.
    The hummingbird was nice, but just a lot choppier than what I personally want.

honorable mention to a few other pedals I've tried at other times, but didn't have that day for direct comparison:

Walrus monument - the one I got was broken, brand new, direct from walrus. Once I got it fixed, it was one of the nicest sounding trems I've played, but the build quality kind of scared me (it had close to a dozen cold solder joints that had to be reflowed), so I've been hesitant to recommend it.

Diamond Tremolo - beautiful sounding. The preamp in it has lots of headroom and just makes everything sound better. But I just want something a bit smaller for how much i use trem right now.

Danelectro cool-cat tremolo - I think this is discontinued, but it's actually a great sounding trem if you get over the ugly enclosure, and difficult knobs to dial in.

Strymon flint - this left me a bit cold. The trems sound good, but something about the feel just didn't match the good analog trems I've played.

JHS tidewater - really good, amp like trem that is very simple. It is very much like a blackface deluxe reverb optical trem. I'm a bigger fan of bias trem sounds though, so while a great pedal, it wasn't what I wanted from a trem pedal.

Other trems I'd be interested in trying still: Supro trem sounds great in demos. I also think the surfytrem sounds killer, but I'm not sure where to buy one currently.

18. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I'll recommend the Earthquaker Nightwire, just cus I want one.

19. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

20. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Not sure if these are available anymore, but I recently picked up an E-Wave Tremolo for $25 off of Craigslist as a backup for my TR-2. Sturdy build, plus it has a volume knob to give it a little extra push.