• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

Need recommendations on coated strings, please

grritz

Supporting Member
I need recommendations, please, on coated strings. My 8-year-old grandson kills strings. Within a week, the strings on his Strat begin to rust/corrode. So...I think I'm gonna have to help him find coated strings that will last for a few weeks per set, at least.
Thoughts/suggestions/recommendations, please. Thanks.

burton56

I’ve tried 2 different brands:
-D’addario EXP Coated strings.
-Elixir Polyweb, Nanoweb, and Optiweb Coated strings.
I liked the Elixir Nanoweb and Optiweb the most. They last a long time too and they feel real nice.

JGonzalez

Oh man, I have the same problem,

Elixir's are a great option. All my low mileage guitars that get hung on the wall are strung with Elixir's. They last an incredibly long time

Here's another solution...

GHS Fret Fast

Fret Fast is incredibly cheap and is equally useful. I use standard un-coated strings for my daily Strat. Apply to the strings ever time i set the guitar down for the night and she lives in the case. This ritual keeps corrosion in check.

cosmic_ape

Supporting Member
Curt Mangan. I like them because the coating flakes off at a much slower rate than Elixirs.

moehuh

Sometimes simply changing brands can already help. I go through a set of D'Addarios in 2 days if I play that guitar a lot.
Had very good results with Curt Mangans so far. They remain fairly fresh for a long time and feel great (talking about the standard uncoated). Will use them on all guitars from now on. I've tried many brands over the years and some strings felt dead after 30min of playing. IME it's worth trying different brands until you find one that matches your finger chemistry ;)

Just ordered a set of coated Curt Mangans to try and compare. Usually, I'm not a fan of coated strings on electrics, but heard good things about these.

Washing hands with soap before playing makes a huge difference, even if you have clean hands. The soap reduces oils and other stuff from your finger tips and dries out the skin a bit. This all helps prolong string life

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
I'd check out Cleartone. I've never used them on electric but I prefer the acoustic sets to Elixirs. As someone mentioned, I've had Elixirs that "flaked" and I think the Cleartones sound a little better to me.

Rolo

I need recommendations, please, on coated strings. My 8-year-old grandson kills strings. Within a week, the strings on his Strat begin to rust/corrode. So...I think I'm gonna have to help him find coated strings that will last for a few weeks per set, at least.
Thoughts/suggestions/recommendations, please. Thanks.
When in my teens i had sweaty palm hands. I started using odor powder and it did help. I also carried a handkerchief. I believe that hand sweating passes as one gets older. I do not think coated strings are necesarry. Plus they cost more than regular strings. Best regards.