Need reverb recommendations

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Joshua Bernstein, Jul 8, 2019.

1. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

Chrishash and Joshua Bernstein like this.
  2. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

I 2nd the Mercury 7. Does it all from subtle to massive in the most beautiful way.

Joshua Bernstein likes this.
  3. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

I've really only tried two reverb pedals extensively, since most of my amps had built in reverb I was happy with. Both were very good, the TC Electronics Hall of Fame 2, and the JHS Spring Tank. I love the Spring Tank, it's very simple and natural sounding spring reverb, that's still can be dialed in on many levels.

4. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

Thank you for all the advice everybody! I thought about it for a while and decided to give up on a digital spring sound that I can get along with. I watched many demos for the pedals that were recommended in this thread and ended up choosing to try the Meris Mercury 7. The demos sound gorgeous and the reviews are all excellent. I found a decent deal on a used on reverb so Ill be giving that a shot.

While I do like the Carl Martin, I don't love it per se, its just the best spring sound Ive been able to get on my board. I don't like it enough to work out having it on top of the amp as I switch reverb on and off regularly.

One day if I have the space and money for a dedicated spring reverb unit Ill definitely go for that, but for now the Meris sounds like it will be able to do it for me.

slicepaperdavid likes this.
  5. johnetone

johnetone Member

cool man! The Mercury 7 has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. Even though Meris has released quite a few really cool pedals, I still think it is their best one. Definitely hmu if you have any questions. I will say that the best way to learn the M7 is to listen to it. But the alt function under the mix knob is probably the most important with regards to how it acts. Have fun!

6. mambosun92

mambosun92 Member

Really weird, I never had any issue such as the one you mentionned with my Ventris. Maybe you shoud try the Free the Tone Ambi space reverb.

7. mikeyfam

mikeyfam Member

If source audio didn't work for ya then maybe a Flint or...

Tabor likes this.
  8. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

I have the following and each of them have their unique features you can get quite creative with and are very functional in live situations too...
    MXR Reverb M300
    Alexander Space Race
    Matthews Effects Cosmonaut v2
    Shift-Line A+ Astronaut Space Reverb v2

9. JohnSword

JohnSword Member

It's not really tweakable so it might not have the balance you seek but I love the spring on my EHX holy grail nano. Set and forget.

10. Chrishash

Chrishash Member

I’m literally staring at the Orion on my board which doesn’t sound as good as the Carl Martin. I want to switch them out and now I’m contemplating u-turning and having BOTH. I went down this hole for a bit- I’ve tried 3 Strymon Springs, Subdecay, handful of digital multi efx. Can’t get into any of them. There’s the Catalinbread Topanga but all their pedals I’ve tried have a very “colorful” preamp. Anasounds looks enticing but at some point- if the spring means so much to us, it’s probably worth it, in the long run to just obtain a vintage Fender tank and get used to hauling the damn thing.

Tabor and Joshua Bernstein like this.
  11. Chrishash

Chrishash Member

Also a new Mr Black digital “surf” spring. Curiously: running BOTH Carl Martin and Spaceman together sounds great. Smaller than a tank. Throw a preamp pedal before them, an EQ after and roll around with a 60 inch board. Done and done.

12. johnpaulgeorgeringo

johnpaulgeorgeringo Member

I really like Hermida Reverb v1

13. Joshua Bernstein

I did like the Carl Martin better than the Orion as well. Though the Orion's form factor was unbeatable for an analog spring reverb. I was also looking at the topanga for a while but heard similar things about the preamp. I decided to give up on the pedal board spring sound and went for a Merid Mercury 7. Now I've got to unload the Carl martin!

Tabor likes this.
  14. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

i'd be fixing/dumping what's causing the hf whine. the ventris is killer

15. Joshua Bernstein

It was specifically only the spring algorithm on the ventris and true spring. It wasn't a whine, it was like an extremely high pitched note that would ride on top of whatever note I was playing and it would go away when I stopped. It only occurred on the spring algorithm, and I haven't had the problem since I moved the ventris along. It did sound amazing other than that, but overall it wasnt for me.

16. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

now my OCD is gonna make me hear this annoying high pitched note riding on top of the spring reverb :facepalm

17. Joshua Bernstein

Haha sorry about that! It may be the way it interacted with my rig, so if you haven't heard it, it's most likely not present in your setup!

18. Bogner

Bogner Member

A Pedalboard Riser...

19. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Check out the Crazy Tubes Circuit While Whale. Its big but not as big as the Headroom and it sounds killer. I haven’t tried the Headroom to comment on how they compare unfortunately.

I own the Topanga and Flint and they are both very good but I suspect they’d be a step backwards from the Carl Martin.

The VanAmps SoleMate is great but also quite large

20. Joshua Bernstein

I appreciate it, but Ive already got it on a riser and it's still taking up too much space

This is what I am trying to replace. It's already on my board.

All, I appreciate your recommendations and help but I have already taken a few peoples advice and purchased a Meris Mercury 7.