Need Rhythm Crunch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yZe, Jul 29, 2006.

1. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    I am going through a Red Bear Head which is "JCM 800-ish", but P2P.

I need a pedal for rhythm crunch. I don't want anything Crunchier than Van Halen's "Fair Warning". That's close as I want it.

I am using the OCD for semi-breakup, but don't like the tone for full out rhythm crunch

Seems like the Crunch Box and Blackstone is it for the rhythm Crunch
    Is that correct?

I just read a post on the honey bee, too

I'd like to set the 120 W head Clean and have the Rhythm Crunch through it

Or I could run the 120 W clean and use my 60 W set at semi and drive it

Which configs would you recommend?

I was thinking of just the one amp config for rehearsal and then the 2 Amp config for live

2. thebot

thebot Member

Well, my two recommendations would be the Honey Bee and Blackstone, which are already on your try out list! Blackstone would be my first recommendation because, hey, it's $100 cheaper! Having said that, I prefer the Honey Bee because it's very responsive and just plain suits me better - pity, because I really like the Blackstone and would really like to do without the Honey Bee and have the cash instead (or more gear if I'm being more realistic). Both are great for rhythm crunch.

I should also admit I can no longer remember what 'Fair Warning' sounds like so I won't guarantee they will give you those sounds. But both will give you nice crunchy sounds. And also you can sell them both for equal to what you pay for them if you don't like them, which is always a bonus.

3. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

The throbak ODB will get you there in germ mode. its a great pedal.

4. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

The Carl Martin Hot Drive N Boost is great for overdrive plus it has a footswitchable boost that Joe Bonnamassa(sp?) swears by.

5. Ken

Ken Member

6. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I say run the red bear dimed and use the volume knob on the guitar to back it down a bit for rythm.

Maybe a volume pedal would do the trick.

Scott

7. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Is the honey Bee 100 bucks better?
    Well, I meant anything which would give at least a hint of Eddie's rhythm crunch from the first 4 Van Halen albums

Not sure what the ODB is and i don't know what germ mode is
    I researched it, and it is more of a lighter to medium gain - which i like - but i am using the OCD for that.
    Thanks
    The only prob is that i like the nice deep jazzy/funky clean the Red Bear gets.
    I will be running the 120 Clean and the 60 W dimed for crunch

If i dime the amp and roll the volume back - even w/a 500K pot - i won't get that snappy clean when the amp is set in dimed mode

I am looking for a way to use just one head for rehearsals, but have a good quality pedal i am vibed on to crunch out a clean amp comparable to early Van Halen at the most.

Thanks again, guys

8. what?

what? Member

Skreddy screwdriver! a very classic rocker pedal!!

9. thebot

thebot Member

Yes, to me. As far as I'm concerned the Honey Bee is where it's at for crunchy rhythm. But tone is so subjective. And an added bonus of the Honey Bee is that it's great after all other dirt, not necessarily in terms of stacking (although it is good for that) but in terms of tone shaping. It can tame anything you put in front of it without getting rid of their fundamental sound. So if you've got a really wild fuzz, you can still have that sound but with less peaks and troughs if that makes any sense.

Thinking about this again though the Honey Bee may not do what you're after. The Honey Bee is designed to sound like a small amp (if I recall correctly it's based on a small Supro amp). Thanks to the magic of I-tunes previews I went and had a little sneak at the rhythm sound you're after and it's a bit bigger than what you get out of the Honey Bee. The Blackstone should get you into those areas.

I'd still recommend checking out the Honey Bee though if you get a chance.:D

10. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Thanks again.

How do you think the MI crunch box would perform in regards to the rhythm tone I described?

Is it somewhat transparent?

Has it got a tight bass response?

Are the Highs smooth?

11. drolling

drolling Member

Ahh, I dunno - the HoneyBee's more Django Reinhardt than Eddie Van Halen, to me, anyway.

CrunchBox has TONS more gain & volume. Nothing subtle about it.. Dark, compressed, LOUD. Thru' a clean blackface type amp, it nails early EVH modded-Marshall tones.

The only thing these two pedals have in common is the fact that they both have strong personalities. Very different personalities, but lots of coloration.. not open or transparent - they really impose themselves on whatever amp your using.

The Bee's extremely sensitive to the nuances of your playing, pick attack, etc., while the CB's got too much saturation to provide the same kind of dynamic response..

Both great, tho':dude

12. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Looks like I'll have to get both since I dig Django and Eddie alike

It's looking like the Blackstone will be first in line

13. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have a red bear mk 120 and I find that a Colorsound Overdriver clone (I have Prescription's and Throbak's) or a Frantone Brooklyn sounds good with this amp. All my other ODs sound a littly mushy with this amp.