Need sample of Street Organ or Barel Organ

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Roe, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Roe

Roe Member

My band is doing a new EP and need a sample of a old, modulated Street Organ. It needs to sound as a circus (or a theater).
    Any suggestions?

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Circus and theater organs were often huge beasts. What are sometimes called circus organs were often calliopes. Theater organs could be the very large, very expensive Wurlitzers. By street organ, I assume that you mean a little portable "organ grinder" or "small organ on a cart" kind of thing?

I'm personally not aware of any in sample libraries, but if I recall, the smaller ones were often reed instruments, and sounded a bit accordion-ish.

What I'd do is get a recording of one, and blend cheesy organ and accordion sounds (layered in a sampler or sample playback synth like a Kurzweil) until I obtained a sound close to the recording. Of course, YMMV.

If, however, you just need one as a sound effect, you might try one of the many sound effects libraries on the market. Most postproduction facilities, the people who do recordings for tv and radio ads, have very extensive libraries by several suppliers. Most places will charge you to do a sound effects search, and in addition, charge for the "drop". There are also online SFX places, such as www.sound-effects-library.com, which lists three such sound effects on their website.

3. ricoh

ricoh Member

Why not sample the calliope sounds in............ Being for the benefit of Mr. Kite......on the Sgt Peppers album by the Beatles.....it seems John Lennon wanted the same effect as you!!!!! There effect was created by recording a calliope on tape ...cutting the tape into pieces and spicing them back together in a random fashion

Rico

4. elambo

elambo Member

Of course you can't actually "sample" the Beatles tune directly, but copying Lenon's idea is fine.

I 2nd the idea of the calliope. It would be very similar to what you'd hear on an old carnival carousel. There's a company called Sound Dogs that might help (sounddogs.com). You can download samples of calliopes, but not the kind that you'd be able to play on a keyboard. It would likely be a pre-recorded slice of music playing who-knows-what. Perhaps worth a try. They're not free, but also not expensive.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

For the benefit of Mr. Kite
    There will be a show tonight
    On trampoline...

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Native Intruments B4 has a harmonium "tone wheel" add-on. I would think there are ways to manipulate that sound to make it more like what you're looking for. E.g.: pitch modulation, layered chorus or vibrato effects, oddball reverbs, etc. Layered with one or two accordion samples, as Les suggested, might get you somewhere. Maybe not, but worth trying. You can download the trial version to see if it works for you.

7. Roe

Roe Member

thanks for the suggestions!

8. Roe

Roe Member

I think you guys helped our soundman/engeneer/producer a bit!
    Thanks