• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need small amp suggestions

Ejay

But why wouldn't I just use the amp by itself. Why would I need the iridium in the effects loop.
Its not a matter of “need”…offcourse with the right amp…nothing wrong with the front.
Reason why I use modeling/preamp on a board into returns of amps:
(a small one, a medium size, and the 2 of them for stereo)

- It reduces requirements to an amp…basically it needs a loop, good power section and a good speaker...in a size to your liking. With preamp/other requirements out of scope…your list of options and price ranges is a lot wider..so it’s cost saving/ more quality for the buck.

- My sounds are in 1 box / board. No matter what size amp I use, also If I go direct…I have the same setup. So I have the same board at my feet, one set of sounds to “manage/maintain”…makes life easier. In the past, using different setups always came with unpleasant surprises at the gig where something didn’t sound as expected…simply cause I didnt use a particular setup frequently enoug.

- You have the benifits of modeling available. Versatile, foh signal, global eqs, preset. Offcourse the million dollar question “does it sound as good as the real thing” floats to the surface. To my ears…the whole preamp side of the game is covered by digital perfectly fine, no compromise. It’s powersection and speaker that make the difference.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
Get the boss katana just picked up the 100 and it’s a great amp for a bargain price.The 50 is great too,smaller and weighs less than the 100.Both amps are loud,but super versatile.
The Katana is solid state and not tube, if that really matters.

I have the 50 mkII combo and it sounds very good for a SS amp.

Puneet Wagh

The Katana is solid state and not tube, if that really matters.

I have the 50 mkII combo and it sounds very good for a SS amp.
Oh yeah, I know :) I'm ok with solid state as a secondary amp. It's light which is important. How would you say your katana takes OD pedals?

Buck Woodson

I tried a Katana at a guitar center 3 years ago. At the time it was their top of the line model (Artist?). It was absolutely the worst sounding amp I've ever tried.

Run the Iridium into an EH 44 Magnum and a cabinet if your choice.

This is what I do at those types of gigs, when I leave my vintage Deluxe Reverb at home. I run the Iridium into a 1x12 cab. It sounds awesome.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
Oh yeah, I know :) I'm ok with solid state as a secondary amp. It's light which is important. How would you say your katana takes OD pedals?
I haven’t used pedals with it yet, since it has built-in effects. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

Puneet Wagh

I'm sorry I tried to help. I assumed that was why you started this thread. Thanks for clarifying you are a reason the ignore button exists.
To be honest, your experience is a bit outdated at the very least. And while it's not a tone bomb like a deluxe reverb or a Two-Rock, I'd say it hardly sounds terrible in the clip below. I do admit I need to try it in person, so yeah, I will give you that.

MoBigBro

Gold Supporting Member
... I need to try it in person ...
The Katana and the Pro Jr. are quite different. The Katana has a lot more options and versatility for sure.
I agree with you: Try them both in person (and at the same time if possible).
If you don't feel and hear the difference between the SS and Tube amp, Katana will be your choice.
When I play a SS and a Tube amp side by side, I like to get to the volume level where the power tubes in the tube amp are starting to break up slightly. To me, the difference in tone and feel start to be apparent at that time. Then add your favorite boost or overdrive pedal and I think you will be inspired.
If that isn't compatible with your music, then the SS amp is for you.

Good luck either way!

EDIT: Also: Don't rule out the AC10 until you try one in person....

Cheers,
MoBigBro

Last edited:

Puneet Wagh

The Katana and the Pro Jr. are quite different. The Katana has a lot more options and versatility for sure.
I agree with you: Try them both in person (and at the same time if possible).
If you don't feel and hear the difference between the SS and Tube amp, Katana will be your choice.
When I play a SS and a Tube amp side by side, I like to get to the volume level where the power tubes in the tube amp are starting to break up slightly. To me, the difference in tone and feel start to be apparent at that time. Then add your favorite boost or overdrive pedal and I think you will be inspired.
If that isn't compatible with your music, then the SS amp is for you.

Good luck either way!

EDIT: Also: Don't rule out the AC10 until you try one in person....

Cheers,
MoBigBro
That sounds good! At my heart, I'm obviously a tube guy, cause I have that Two-Rock haha but having an option doesn't hurt. In fact, I just recorded and released a full EP using a Strymon iridium and got pretty good tones using that. So yeah, just about experimentation I guess.

Top Bottom