Need some 1x12 cab advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by p.snail, Jun 20, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

I have a 4x12 Triamp cabinet loaded with English Celestion G12m greenback speakers. I am going to switch over to a 1x12 cab. I found a Peavey cab that is the perfect size, but of course the speaker is crapola. What will give the tone of a G12m, but enough power handling for a Fender SF Bassman head? We're playing some smaller rooms and I can't lug the 4x12 anymore. Which sucks because that cab makes everything sound good. What do you suggest? I was thinking like a Red Coat wizard or something.

2. ungarn

ungarn Member

More info on desired tone and type of music played may help others pick out a speaker...

There is lots of good info on the Eminence website too, and a Wizard is a good place to start...

-Thad

3. p.snail

p.snail Member

I really want a smooth speaker. I have vintage 30's. They sound too scooped to me. I like a nice smooth midrange with good bass response. I don't like for the high end to be obnoxious. The Wizard seems like it has a pretty flat response therefore making it a better platform for pedals and such. I play the bassman clean and grind it up with OD's.

4. 1964

1964 Member

Emi Private Jack.

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

Look at Tonespotter and Tonker too!!!

6. 1964

1964 Member

For G12M tone?

7. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

I hear really good things about the Emi Legend GB12. The Emi dude says it's smoother than the Private Jack.

8. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I have a Governor in an open back 1X12 Roccaforte, it's smooth, pretty even response, and the bottom end stays tight. I think Suhr recommends/uses Governors in his 1X12 closed back as well.

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The V30 is one of the least scooped speakers made - it has an extremely severe upper-mid peak and virtually no real top-end. Could it be your cabinet that's making them sound that way (eg a recent Marshall 1936)?

(No offense intended.)

If you haven't bought the Peavey cab already and want something that will sound like the 4x12", try a Mesa Thiele cab - they're very balanced and have a lot more 'thump' in the bass. Stock they usually came with EVs, but if you can find one with the Celestion Black Shadow 90 (or swap it), that would probably be closer to what you're looking for from your description.

10. el34power

el34power Member

FWIW. I have the 3/4 open/wide cab from mesa with the black shadow. Fantastic cab use to replace my 4x12 when needed....
    If you have the cab already, although i only have a Ceramic blue dog, i think a Weber Silver bell would be nice

11. p.snail

p.snail Member

That was a typo in that thread. I don't own a cab with Vintage 30's in it. My cab has the greenbacks and sounds awesome, but when I went to buy that cab I A/B'd it with a new Carvin Legacy 4x12 cab and that one seemed really scooped sounding. Maybe that's not the word for it. It definitely sounded like something Metallica would be playing through. I'm looking for something that slams like a greenback but with a little more power handling.

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

In my experience with V-30's, I have 2 observations...

These speakers are meant to be played loud and hard! To my ear, they shell out a vintage type tone at levels that are meant for stage, a large stage. They offer this vintage tone at high sound levels and stay together in the process. The bass holds together very well. At low and moderate volumes [which is not really what they are designed for] they perform only moderately well imo.

Regardless of the volume pushed through them, they record incredibly well, both clean and overdriven tones.

M.E.

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I run an Eminence GB12 in a ported Avatar 1x12 and really like it. In fact, I'm looking for 2 more GB12's in 16 ohm to go in an upcoming 2x12.

14. aeolian

aeolian Member

The Tonker has the thump but is kind of foward. The Tonespotter is smooth but doesn't handle the power or have the bottom end. From what I've played of the line, the Governor is a good balance. Heard nice things about the Wizzard too. The Celestion Mesa 90 can handle the power. It has a lower midrange hump that makes things sound thick. Which can be an asset or liablity depending on everything else.

15. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I have a Wizard, a Vintage 30, a Greenback a Weber Alnico Blue Dog and a Scumbag SA12 H. I play these with several Marshall and Fender amps and the Scumbag is my favorite by far. The Wizard is nice and so is the Weber but for the Marshall Greenback type thing with crunch and bass the Scumbag is much better to my ears.