Need some advice on light Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kipknee, Sep 1, 2005.

1. kipknee

kipknee Member

First, a little background. Been playing a Mesa-Boogie MK-III for the last 7-8 years. Very versatile. More recently, I picked up an Egnater TOL 50 combo. (1x12) which I love. Tone is phenomenal. Complex, with lots of personality. Definitely a different animal than my MK-III and much more appropriate to my current playing style.

Here's where it gets ugly. Earlier this year, I ruptured a disc in my neck. (At C7, if you must know.) As a result, my ability to haul heavy gear has been severely limited. Lately I've been using a Fender Blues Jr. and that seems to be about all the weight I can handle. Obviously, the MK-III and Egnater are way outside of that weight range. (They both weigh about 70 lbs.)

So, this is what I'm looking for: a 1x12 amp that weighs about the same as my Blues Jr. (approx. 30lbs.) but is similar in tone to the Egnater. Power requirements are not great; I typically ran the MK-III in 25 watt mode and the Egnater in 10 watt mode. I've been running a Barber DD pedal for overdrive, so a 1-channel amp is sufficient, (although I'm not against the idea of a 2-channel). I do, however, need an effects loop. Price range would be whatever I get when I sell the Egnater or the MK-III. (I'm going to keep one, I just haven't decided which one yet.)

I primarily play a 1972 Gibson Les Paul with Seth Lovers and a Warmoth Franken-Strat with EMGs. Tone goals are usually in the realm of bluesy/jazzy. That is, warm with just a hint of break-up.

Any suggestions?

Bob

2. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I've never heard an Egnater, but I'd imagine it's something heavier than a clean amp. For a light combo that can do the overdriven thing well, look at a Soldano Astroverb. They only weigh like 40-42 lbs., and they sound very nice. Just something to think about...

3. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

the carr hammerhead looks pretty cool, and the 1x12 is pretty light I think. I just checked, it says 38 pounds. You could take that and try a neo type speaker in there and get it down to 30 I would think.
    Another option might be a tone king, the old comet 20a is pretty darn light weight. again you could shave off more weight by trying a celestion or jenson neo speaker.

4. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Gibson GA-15rv.... Lighter than the blues jr and an amazingly good reverb! In fact, I'm looking for a 2nd one to run stereo!

5. kipknee

kipknee Member

Thanks for the suggestions. The Soldano is, unfortunately, still too heavy. Maybe a different neodymium-type speaker would help that, but it still wouldn't have the effects loop I need. The Gibson GA-15 would present the same problem. (FYI, I run a volume pedal in the effects loop to control overall stage volume without effecting the signal level hitting the preamp.)

I'll have to take a closer look at the Carr and the Tone-King.

6. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

the tone king comet does have a loop. the carr I am not sure, likely not. If you are getting overdrive from a barber, I don't think a loop is needed. You can put the volume pedal after the drive and it won't affect the gain/tone level.

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

A Pritchard Black Dagger (www.pritchardamps.com) would be very versatile and get unbeatable tones and volume when necessary at 35 lbs., but it might be beyond your price range. (And there are never any used ones for sale.)

How much does the Valvetech 22 watter weigh? You should probably consider it. Maybe Rob or a Valvetech owner can chime in and answer this.

The Reverend Kingsnake and Hellhound might be good enough for you, and definitely in your weight range at 32-35 lbs. I think.

You could always get a Fender Princeton modded for 18 watts and a 12" speaker... or the Allen Sweet Spot equivalent. These are loud enough with an efficient 12".

If you are willing to sacrifice a little bass response, you'd be suprised how good a www.songworks.com Lanilei 12" combo is at only 16 lbs. and 50 watts. It is a "boutique hybrid." Not extremely versatile, but very Marshally.

8. kipknee

kipknee Member

Heard some good things about the Hellhound, but have not actually heard one (on file or in person). They pop up on Ebay every once in awhile, but that's the only place I see 'em.

9. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Check out the Traynor YCV-20 WR (not the black tolex version). Low 30's in weight, EL84s, footswitchable channels with boost, shared EQ, real Accutronics reverb, Celestion Greenback. A real amp with real Tone and a great price tag!-Eric

10. scottro123

scottro123 Member

Alessandro Working Dog might be worth consideration if you can go sans-FX loop.

Approx. weight is 36 pounds. (Final Output Control) cuts output by up to 1/2 and amp is available in 6L6, 6V6, and EL34 power tube sections.

It is fantastic at the warm to semi-pushed tones. My 6L6 2x10 combo has fenderish qualities, but with a more transparent and high-fidelity treble response--sort of a vox-like chime instead of a blackface clang if that makes sense. Overdrives in a smooth and natural way, but only at higher volumes.

11. Beer

Beer Member

I know you said combo, but I'd suggest maybe getting a head shell and speaker cab made for any combo that you like but is too heavy. Make two trips or carry the cab and head in each hand to balance out the weight and put less strain on your neck/spine. To me, it has always seemed a lot easier to carry two equally weighted things in each hand rather than one semi heavy load in just one hand, especially when it comes to something like an amp whose size often forces you to hold it a little away from your body, putting more strain on your neck and back.

Most of a combo's weight comes from the transformers, combo shell and speaker. Maybe you find the right configuration and tone you want with the smallest transformer weight and get a light combo shell and neo speaker.

12. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I am playing an amp that is just shocking me on how good it sounds in a very small package.

a Silverface Princeton Reverb.

I dropped a Ragin Cajun in it and it is big and full and loves all of my pedals.

This could be the perfect amp for any situation where you will be mic'ed and stage volume is a concern. I am more than impressed with the tones from this little beast. It sounds 4x it's size.

I was planning to get a new baffle for the amp to use a 12" speaker but I found that my baffle was glued in. I decided to try a ragin cajun before I bought a new cab and I am glad I did!

amazing little amp.... I think I am gonna get another!

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Working Dogs. Great-sounding amps, and wonderfuly light!

14. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

+2 on the Dogs. Put a neo in there and it would practically float away.;) No loop though...are you sure you need one? It really limits your choices.

15. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I have no idea about matching for tone, but my pv C30 with a Jensen Neo is around 30# and sounds great. Much less expensive than your other amps so you'd save a bundle. You'll probably need to get your neck fixed at some point (me too - both 5-6 and 6-7 levels....:( ) after which you'll be good to go with anything.

jon

16. kipknee

kipknee Member

This is good information and I'm trying to digest it all. I agree that the effects loop limits the choices, so I might have to rethink that. I did pick up a Mesa-Boogie Subway Rocket recently, and it satisfies the effects loop issue, but I found the tone to be very muddy, especially when I A-B it against the Egnater. I still have the Subway amp, but it's kinda just sitting in my get-rid-of queue.

Fortunately, my neck problems seem to be on their way out. I'll always have to be a little paranoid about it, but the epidural cortisteroid (spelling?) series of shots that I went through seemed to do the trick. That was good 'cuz the alternative was to surgically remove the disc altogether and fuse the C6-C7 vertabra together using a chunk of thigh-bone. I'm real happy that I dodged that bullet. :D

Bob

17. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hip bone, actually, though many surgeons are using cadaver bone. That's what I'll have. Too often the hip donor site becomes very painful and dwarfs the neck problem. Good luck, Bob. Hopefully the epidural will last a long time. Just don't get in a car wreck.......... :rolleyes:

jon

18. kipknee

kipknee Member

Hip-bone sounds right. To be honest with you, by the time the doctor got around to explaining that part of the procedure, my eyes had probably already glazed over and all I heard was "blah, blah, blah, blah." :)

Fortunately, this orthopedic surgeon was very conservative and would only prescribe the surgery after all other avenues had been exhausted.

19. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

My Two Rock Custom Reverb 50 combo weighs in at 48lbs. The new Egnater MOD 50 Combo is around the same. Lots of tone and versitility in both of these. Truely a "grab and go" amp.

20. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

It's not a tube amp, but it sounds killer and weighs nothing: Tech 21 TM 60. Plenty loud, great tone, fx loop. Highly recommended by me--I had two until recently.