Need some advice on MXR M77, M78, and M66 pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blackie59, Jan 21, 2012.

1. blackie59

blackie59 Member

I picked up an MXR Classic Overdrive pedal right before Christmas for only $29 dollars and I really like it. I'm using it with a Les Paul and a Class 5 combo. I'd like to get either a Badass distortion pedal or try the Badass overdrive pedal. Playing mostly blues so which pedal would you recommend?

2. blackie59

blackie59 Member

No opinions at all?

3. schecterc1lh

schecterc1lh Member

the modified OD is a great pedal. Dont know about the distortion though.

4. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Would the M77 pedal be worth the cost for replacing the M66?

5. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

Here's a good video demoing the MXR Custom Badass M78 Distortion and M77 Modified Overdrive both used together and separately:

6. schecterc1lh

schecterc1lh Member

well, if you like the M66 i say keep it! The modified OD is nice because it has a transparent sound, something along the lines of a timmy or blues driver, as well as a tube screamer type sound if you engage the bump switch. Another cool feature is the 100hz knob, which allows you to add some low end to either tone. Its a really versatile, great sounding pedal to me. I have heard some people on here say of it was $300 and had a 6 month waiting list, people would say its the best od you can buy, which may not be far from the truth haha.

7. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Don't get rid of the GC/MXR Classic Overdrive! (it's a cheaper build, but the same circuit as the MXR GT-OD, plus the Zakk Wylde OD depending on the interior switch position) I'ts cheap but IMO a great sounding OD

8. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep the M66 and try a M78 with it. Save a few pennies and get the M77 later.

9. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Just a followup, I tried the M78 pedal with, without, before, after, etc., the Classic Overdrive pedal last night after the UPS guy dropped it off. All I can say is that I was less than overwhelmed with the pedal. Not that I didn't expect that after reading that a few people disliked it because they said it sounded thin and tinny. I knew that I wouldn't know for sure with my Class 5 amp what it would sound like until I plugged it in. Well, right now it's most likely going to go back to the store as it just really doesn't do anything extra, other than sounding kind of harsh for lack of a better term, than the cheaper Classic Overdrive pedal. I also realized that I like the overdrive gain a lot more than the distortion gain with my LP and amp. Mainly for the fact that the overdrive pedal gives me more sustain than the distortion pedal and it also has a little bit of a thicker edge to the sound. Well, you live and you learn. Maybe I'll take the cash I dumped into the M78 and try out the M77 now.