Need Some Advice on this Pedalboard

DualRectifier

Gold Supporting Member
After years of living in apartments and hi-rise condos, I finally bought my own house in June last year. I don't really gig any more but I do jam occasionally with some friends. Mostly noodle around by myself, maybe some classic rock covers.

Anyway after years of using modelers almost exclusively, I decided to build up a pedalboard. I bought pedals I thought would give me a good variety of sounds. So I loaded this Pedaltrain Novo 24, mostly via the Emporium, and hooked it up via 4 cable method to a PRS SE 50 with Groove Tube EL34s. Mod pedals go through the fx loop, crunch pedals into the front. The Carl Martin Comp is at the front of the crunch section.

I am having trouble getting a good sound I like. I know with analog pedals a little adjustment goes a long way, but I've been looking up Youtube videos on various settings and signal chains, as well as scouring threads here, and I'm still not happy with my sound. I think a lot of the difficulty is working with the Comp and the Aluminum Falcon, but I am also not getting a good smooth sound out of the chorus/delay/reverb combo either.

Any tips on signal chain, pedal placement, amp or pedal settings, etc.?
AAhUsjs.jpg

Guitars are nothing special but I like them and there is a good variety.
nGgpaLH.jpg

Last edited:

northstar6000

Are you using amp gain? If not, you may want to consider putting your chorus, delay, and reverb out front (last in your chain before the amp). Just another option to consider, but they sound very different; not necessarily better just different.

You have some good pedals there, so you should be able to coax some good tones for sure.

As far as your signal chain, it looks pretty good, and not far off what most would recommend. How is the Wah in your chain? I have found that some wah's can be notorious tone suckers (crappy bypass circuits). How does your rig sound when it's removed? Just more things to consider. When I had a wah, I put in a separate loop (to isolate it).

As far as the comp - less is always more. Assuming you are just looking to smooth things out and equalize any volume.

DualRectifier

Gold Supporting Member
I actually just got the wah for Christmas, so I haven't had much experience with it. I do like the amp's gain, which is why I did the four cable method.

Thanks for the tips. I think I do need to dial down the comp and some of the other pedals. Easy to get out of hand with the settings.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
After years of living in apartments and hi-rise condos, I finally bought my own house in June last year. I don't really gig any more but I do jam occasionally with some friends. Mostly noodle around by myself, maybe some classic rock covers.

Anyway after years of using modelers almost exclusively, I decided to build up a pedalboard. I bought pedals I thought would give me a good variety of sounds. So I loaded this Pedaltrain Novo 24, mostly via the Emporium, and hooked it up via 4 cable method to a PRS SE 50 with Groove Tube EL34s. Mod pedals go through the fx loop, crunch pedals into the front. The Carl Martin Comp is at the front of the crunch section.

I am having trouble getting a good sound I like. I know with analog pedals a little adjustment goes a long way, but I've been looking up Youtube videos on various settings and signal chains, as well as scouring threads here, and I'm still not happy with my sound. I think a lot of the difficulty is working with the Comp and the Aluminum Falcon, but I am also not getting a good smooth sound out of the chorus/delay/reverb combo either.

Any tips on signal chain, pedal placement, amp or pedal settings, etc.?
AAhUsjs.jpg

Guitars are nothing special but I like them and there is a good variety.
nGgpaLH.jpg
What is the sound you are angling for?

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
That's quite a setup for someone that doesn't gig.
In all circumstances, less is more.

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
One challenge I always had with individual stomp boxes (modulation in particular), is that the setting that sounded best alone/clean is often different than that which sounds good stacked with another pedal or with Overdrive/Distortion. If it were me, I'd break it down to the basic sounds you're after and start adding pedals only after you have the core sound that you're after.

I also find that less is more when it comes to compressors and chorus, so if you haven't turned the mix down on those that's where I'd start.

DualRectifier

Gold Supporting Member
What is the sound you are angling for?

Kind of a range from chimy clean to light crunch Eagles, to 80s instrumental hair like Satriani or Vai, to heavy-ish classic rock like AC/DC, GNR, Metallica. You know, everything. Not that my playing or technique approaches any of that, I just want to have a better basic sound.

DualRectifier

Gold Supporting Member
One challenge I always had with individual stomp boxes (modulation in particular), is that the setting that sounded best alone/clean is often different than that which sounds good stacked with another pedal or with Overdrive/Distortion. If it were me, I'd break it down to the basic sounds you're after and start adding pedals only after you have the core sound that you're after.

I also find that less is more when it comes to compressors and chorus, so if you haven't turned the mix down on those that's where I'd start.

Yeah I think I need to just start over by turning everything down, and working my way up a little at a time.

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
Since you just recently got the wah, I would double-check that it's not secretly on and causing havoc. A wah pedal left on, in the toe-down position, would make it impossible to get a "smooth" sound out of anything, lol. It doesn't sound like that's the case, but it is something worthy of eliminating as a cause.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Kind of a range from chimy clean to light crunch Eagles, to 80s instrumental hair like Satriani or Vai, to heavy-ish classic rock like AC/DC, GNR, Metallica. You know, everything. Not that my playing or technique approaches any of that, I just want to have a better basic sound.
OK, you're in my neighborhood. ;) You've got pretty much all the right ingredients (although, I am not a fan of the HOF... it's the one TC pedal I really have trouble getting down with... but we can quibble the merits of various verb pedals another time! :) )

A couple of thoughts:
1) As @northstar6000 said, try taking the Wah out of your chain just to see what effect it is (or is not) having on your tone overall.
2) Assuming the pictured settings are roughly what you are using, I would suggest on the AF, that dial back the gain and dial up the tone a bit (say to 9:00 and 2:00, respectively), and ditto on the TS (and you can even, potentially set the gain on the TS lower and the volume higher... that's how I prefer TS-types).
3) For higher gain you can cascade either the Falcon or the TS into the Pinnacle (if the Pinnacle itself is not giving you enough gain... and generally I prefer distortion or fuzz pedals set relatively lower, and then goose them with something when you need them to be really mean).
4) You might also want to consider moving the compressor/limiter to the end of your chain, and keeping it dialed in a bit lower than where you have it now (start with all the knobs at 9:00 and then tweak from there, as needed).

Just my $.02. :)

Junta

You jam for pleasure, I record songs (EZ Drummer, and I play all bass and guitar parts - even Wurly and the Clavina!) - so not a pro, an 'advanced beginner' here...

I learned a whole lot from obsessively 'studying' That Pedal Show... (I did buy a mug to do my part to keep that show going!) Highly recommended. Their approach (everything in front of the amp) is different than yours (and mine - I cannot do without JVM/Marshall style dirt....), but there is still so much to learn from those guys in terms of gain structure, pedal order, different amp set ups, etc.

I have the TC Flashback Triple delay - and would absolutely never part with it, but not because it has the best sound options... Because of series/parallel stacking options, presets, and midi (bpm control from DAW for recording really). I think there are literally dozens of better analog and digital delays out there which sound better than Flashback, including TC's own Alter Ego... OK, all except the 2290 delay - I doubt you will get a better clean delay short of getting a rack mount. So: for a more inspiring delay sound, I would look into replacing the Flashback, or buying another (Catalinbread Belle Epoch or maybe the new Boss DM-2W for an analog option?)

The really weak link on your board though, and I have just gotten rid of mine, is the TC Hall of Fame in my opinion. Catalinbread Talisman!!! Comparing the Plate setting on the TC pedal to the Talisman I realized, indeed less is more! The Talisman is just the best out there short of getting a real plate reverb - Think too many thousands of dollars! (also Catalinbread Topanga Spring reverb maybe?). The Talisman makes me practice / noodle more. Just plate reverb with clean amp! So inspiring.

I am nuts about chorus... Have the Pigtronix Quantum and the Boss CE-2W, both of which are better sounding than the MXR in my opinion. I think there are better choruses out there for you

Finally - I have no idea what your amp is like. That's for another forum...

Good luck!

Last edited:

Tony-Cliffton

Silver Supporting Member
Start with just amp, and guitar, get your amp and guitar where it sounds good. This could take several days/hours of playing. Then add one pedal, do the same. Then add another, and so on. This tone thing, it takes a while and can't be rushed. it's one reason I like simple amps, and pedals, and no un needed pedals. You know, the ones we "just have to have".

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
Start with just amp, and guitar, get your amp and guitar where it sounds good. This could take several days/hours of playing. Then add one pedal, do the same. Then add another, and so on. This tone thing, it takes a while and can't be rushed. it's one reason I like simple amps, and pedals, and no un needed pedals. You know, the ones we "just have to have".

This...

Take your time

I find everything changes if i switch from humbucker/ LP to Tele..... Not drastically- but i need to reset some to settle the tele chimes- Stay with 1 guitar you like while you sort it out

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom