Need Some Artistic Input (Drawing/ Colored Markers)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Drak, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

I was wondering what kind of art markers were probably used to create this effect.
    If it's some sort of colored pens/pencils/marker, exactly what would I ask for if I went into an art supply store?
    I don't know jackson about art supplies.
    Hopefully something you can spray clearcoat over to protect.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

You could definitely achieve that look with Prisma-Color colored pencils. They blend really well. Of course, you couldn't just color on a raw enclosure. You'd have to do some sort of paper transfer.

3. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Looks like acrylic paint to me or maybe pencil and gouache.

4. t135

t135 Member

It would have to be a paint to stick to metal long term. Oil based paint pens would get my vote. Followed by a clear coat of polyurethane. That would give you a long term durable finish over metal.

My spouse is an art teacher, I've been lucky enough to learn a few things from her.

5. t135

t135 Member

Or just straight oil paint with brushes would do the trick of course. Especially that brush like blending.

6. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

It strikes me more as marker-driven.
    I would think brushes would leave more texture behind, this looks pretty flat and the lines are very crisp and distinct, which is why I was guessing a marker of some sort.

Oil based paint pens, never heard of them.
    Thanks so far!

7. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

Those are probably Japanese paint pens. Get used a lot on surfboards too.

8. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

9. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

This looks like some sort of transfer paper. The the box has been engraved with labeling. Specifically note the "out" engraving and the fact that it is black, but the oranges and reds go right around the edge without falling into the void. However, notice that the "0" and the "10" both are also black, but the blues have fallen into the engraving. You can look at all the engravings and notice that rarely does the paint fall into the black voids.

To paint around all the engravings with the goal of keeping as much paint out of the voids as possible would be VERY times consuming. This is what's steering me towards a transfer of some sort, not to mention the ridiculous amount of time it would take to paint each box.

An any case, the box looks to be some sort of black anodized aluminum that's been engraved, or a box that's been engraved and then had a black base sprayed over but I doubt it as it would be very touch to keep the engravings sharp and defined.

10. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

It must be a transfer of some sort, unless someone wanted to spend more time painting the thing than making it.

As a geezer, I would say it's acrylics, but if we have invented paint pens in the past 30 years or so, maybe that's it.

Googling reveals the artist is someone named Vale Glotzer. She paints guitars too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

12. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

So the pedal is a one-off.

13. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

I'd say those Posca pens if not Prisma Color….but it looks to be done directly on the enclosure to me, which would be simple enough with a matt white base. Two part urethane could be used to overcoat (this is how Z-Vex does it), but that looks like it doesn't have any overcoat.

14. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

I believe it's a one-off custom deal, not factory done where they would have to replicate it over and over.
    Thanks much for the suggestions so far, I'll be up to the artist supply store soon.

I found another and better link to more of her work.
    Freaking inspiring to say the least.

http://www.picssr.com/photos/siberianita/popular-interesting