Need Some Basic Guitar/Recording Room Advice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by hamrhed1, Feb 16, 2006.

1. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

I have a guitar room that I would like to set up for recording and playing of sometimes loud amps. The room is about 15' deep and 10' wide. This room is in the basement and off of the main rec room. When I play now, will often crank up an amp in the smaller room and stand in the larger room to avoid being blown out. I could record the same way, amps in one room, me in the other if needed.

It would be nice to be able to crank up to a reasonable level in the room and either stay in there to play and/or record.

Would my best option be to build an isolation closet for recording and playing loud amps?

Would a ClearSonic sort of drum enclosure with a lid be a good portable (but more expensive) solution to the volume problem?

What sort of wall covering should I use for this room to help control the volume?

Any advice would be helpful.

2. covert

covert Member

If I understand your question correctly, you're only concerne with your own ears, not with leakage to other parts of the house or surroundings. Correct? If that's the case, a good set of earplugs, muffs or high isolation headphones would probably do the trick. If the walls are highly reflective, deadening them might help as well, but that's some pretty serious science to do well.

3. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

I really want to be able to protect my ears and have more opportunity to play the amps cranked up. At this point, I can't easily do this when the rest of the family is home, it takes over the house. That's why I thought an isolation closet might be a good way to go.

I use an attenuator and wear earplugs when I need to be in the room now.

4. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I don't think there is much (if anything) that you can do to reduce the volume inside the room. You can improve the room (or the amp) isolation from the rest of the house. The first decision to make is your budget. You could build a small closet-type enclosure for your amp for less money than isolating the whole room, which can get very expensive. You could also look at one of the pre-made isolation speaker cabinets. I think Randall might make one?

5. brlfq

brlfq Member

Instead of building a box or spending a bunch on soundproofing the room, why not buy an amp that has good tone with reasonable(for your situation) volume. In other words, buy more gear!