Need some cover tune ideas please

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jarrett, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

We have a five piece band. Bluesy, soulful singer. Bluesy guitar player with strong rhythm chops. Keys/Harmonica and a tight funky rhythm section. We're trying to come up with some songs to add to the set list that play to those strengths. Stuff that gets people up and moving. Essentially blues/rock/funk type songs that people know and will dance to. Not really looking for disco or anything like that. We do Hey Pocky Way by the Meters and Dixie Chicken by Little Feat. That's the type of vein we are shooting for. Fire on the Bayou by the Meters would be another good one for us, but its not really known so much.

Any suggestions for tunes like that? Sort of syncopated grooves with soulful voice over it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

Not sure if the song is that well known, but Larry McCray's "Blues Is My Business" sounds like it fits!

3. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    Some of the subdudes tunes would work... and they usually don't have that "full band" sound, so you could re-invent it pretty easily...

Keep going with Little Feat, and check out "Thanks, I'll Eat It Here", Lowell George's solo album; the version of "Two Trains" on that record is killer, as is the Allen Toussaint tune, "What Do You Want the Girl to Do", and "Honest Man".

Dylan's catalog is a treasure trove... go for the more obscure tunes; they can be easily "re-grooved" and done in any key, any style...

You can probably pull some songs from Van Morrison, as well, if that would work... again, not the obvious, but Van's got 50 albums to pick from...

4. ronedee

ronedee Senior Member

Hendrix' bluesier stuff is dance-able!

older ZZ Top gets the juices goin' too!

SRV will move an audience to dance.

And Elvis' 50's Rockabilly can get the whole room movin.

Georgia Satellites are a big favorite!

Anyhing by Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, or James Brown!

5. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Check out Sneakin Sally through the alley by Robert Palmer. It's a really early record and the band is basically some of the meters and some of the original feat.

6. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

"Messin' With The Kid" by Junior Wells is always a hit when we play it, plus it lends itself to your own interpretation.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

You could try "Mustang sally" - it's kind of obscure, but a few people may recognize it.

8. Swain

Swain Member

Cissy Strut

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

These are some good suggestions, thanks! Please keep em coming.

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

The Stones' "Miss You."

You can do a lot with that and put as much "blues" or "disco" into it as you want.

And the girlys love to dance to that song.

11. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

Nice. I think I may actually prefer "Beast of Burden" for a rework into blues or R&B.

Drift Away by Doby Gray
    634-5789 Wilson Picket
    Hold On on Coming - sam and dave
    The Weight - The band . .I had seen zydeco cat Terrance Simien do a great cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAblw4rCMw Not a great video but I dig their cover

BTW don't discount Disco or even 80s tunes. Take a song that people all know and like but may be afraid to admit it, and do it with some soul. I have seen some souldful renditions of Time After Time for example.

12. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I always enjoy bands that take popular tunes, then mold them to fit THEIR style. I.e., pick popular songs that you know get people out of their seats (AC/DC, Segar, whatever), and then arrange them to fit your way of doing things.

13. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Member

Izabella by Jimi is a very-danceable heavy funky tune, definitely check out the recording Live at the Fillmore or Live at Woodstock (LAF is better IMO)

Boogie on Reggae Woman by Stevie Wonder is also an awesome tune. Your Bass player could get funky with that too, check out a live version by Phish! Mike Gordon (bassist) tears that one up with the funkiest/chunkiest filter i've ever heard.

14. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Shakedown Street by the Grateful Dead.

15. joel98z

joel98z Member

These songs get people on the dance floor everytime for us:
    Whiskey River
    Red House
    The Jack
    Mustang Sally
    Tush
    Beer Drinkers and hell raisers

16. Andygee

Andygee Silver Supporting Member

Fire -- Ohio Players
    Apricot Brandy -- Rhinoceros

17. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

I recently saw a band do an even more funked up version of "Spill The Wine" by Eric Burdon & War. It was very cool.