Need some dirt! Tim/Timmy or Riot???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dealmaker, Feb 17, 2012.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker Member

Guys,

need some advice - got an OCD on the pedalboard - and whilst I love the tone - it sometimes feels a little restrained to me??

I've seen a lot of comments about the Tim/Timmy - but I can't try one so would need to order one blind. I have tried a Riot - and that is probably at the upper extremities of what I'm looking for?

Is the Tim/Timmy just more of the OCD style - or does it take things to another level beyond OCD? (but not quite Riot level?)

Thanks!

2. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

The Tim/my is more transparent, and clips differently. It's pretty different from the OCD. I have both, and they sound good separately, but great with the Tim pushing the OCD! Many use the Tim/my as a clean boost, but it has quite a bit of gain and can stand on its own as an OD.

Haven't tried the Riot...Can you explain your gear and needs a little further? That may help others offer more accurate advice.

If you do choose to go for the Tim/my, buy it from a dealer like fatsound. That way you can return it in a week or two if it's not for you.

3. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

OCD > Timmy is my fav stacking combo. I have both on my board. Both cover different ground. Both worth having!!!

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Timmy is generally a mild overdrive (low-gain), but can be used from a boost to medium gain. The OCD is generally consider to be medium gain. The riot is distortion or high gain. The Timmy is the most eq-able, from scooped to fairly fat in the midrange.

Considering this, I would say the Timmy, while different, could take the spot of the OCD. On the other hand, I think once you get up to medium gain, there are a lot more decent options than you will find for a good low-gainer. Not that the Timmy can't do it well at all, it just shines as a lower gain because there are fewer options.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

^^^ I agree with HJF. I have tried to love the OCD, but after three go arounds, it's gone again. I have a Timmy, but I use it as my solo boost pedal. I haven't tried a Riot yet, but I would say if you're looking for a notch above the OCD that is not where the Timmy excels unless you're goos'ing the OCD with the Timmy.

6. brenkj

brenkj Supporting Member

I have both the OCD and the Timmy. I had a hard time dialing in a really nice tone on the OCD. I was constantly fiddling with it and never got a tone I liked. With the Timmy, I just set the bass and treble dials on 0, set the volume where I need it, and then dial in the amount of grit I'm looking for. It has seemed much easier to work with than the OCD.

I used to think there was no better pedal for medium-to-high gain than my Bad Cat 2-Tone (it's tube-driven and it's as big as 5 normal pedals). I'm now starting to think the Timmy beats it.

If you really like the sound of your amp, the Timmy is the way to go. I know it sounds like sales fluff, but it really does keep the tone of your amp and just add gain to that tone.

7. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

IME, Tim DOEN"T sound like your amp but DOES sound like your guitar, as if it bypasses the amp and adds hair to your guitar, like a direct signal with dirt. I feel so strongly about this distinction I had to chime in. :bonk As a result, the Tim is more open than the OCD, and likely will do a better job of cutting. As noted, they are very different pedals. If you buy one and don't like it you'll have no trouble flipping it (and you'll finally know what a Tim sounds like). -E

8. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I went back and forth between the timmy and a OD11 and I kept the OD11. Check it out if you can.

9. koa

koa Member

Tim.... Stack that with your OCD and you'll be loving life. I've had the Riot several times and just can't seem to bond with it.

10. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I love the Tim/Timmy, but I only like it mostly as a boost. The gain set in the upper register is not the best, IMO. If you're looking for more boost and tone shaper, then the Timmy/Tim would be great. If you're looking for a gain pedal, I would really look at something else. I just don't feel this is how the Tim/Timmy works best. Paul C. Is a great guy, one of the best builders here, but it's not for everyone. The guys that usually don't like it are buying it for the wrong purpose.

11. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I agree with all of this. That said, some people swear by the Timmy as a full-on OD, so ... -E

12. sahertian

sahertian Member

+1 also

13. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Hmmm, I love the OCD, love the Timmy and love the Timmy into the OCD, so I guess I'm not much help. I will say, though, that running the OCD at voltages from 12-18 does make a difference. Have you tried that?

14. 10strings

10strings Member

As a former Tim owner and former Riot owner the Atomic Overdrive is pulling me in... Worth considering...