• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Need some good Strat tuners

telefuzzfreak

I have an older Fender Vintage Player's 60 strat and really don't like the tuners on it. They're slotted, and staggered, so the high E tuner is really small. So small, that it's a PITA to put anything bigger than a 10ga string on it.

What are some good aftermarket tuners that I should look at? I don't care about locking tuners as I don't use my trem. I would rather not have to drill holes.

telefuzzfreak

Thanks. I did search, but most of the threads I found pertaining to Strats/Teles were about locking tuners, and how they changed your tone.:facepalm

So...I thought I'd just start a new thread instead.

jcoggins7

Get Sperzel locking tuners...FWIW, locking tuners have nothing to do with trem usage...they only make it easier & quicker to change strings.

geetarman

Gold Supporting Member
Get Sperzel locking tuners...FWIW, locking tuners have nothing to do with trem usage...they only make it easier & quicker to change strings.
Thanks for pointing that out because many think that locking tuners do the same thing as a locking nut when they're NOT or they equate them with tremolo bridge usage.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
Get a set of Gotoh Kluson type tuners that aren't staggered.

MartinC

I'd recommend Schaller locking tuners (for ease of use) over the Sperzels. I have Sperzels on my Suhr Classic. They're really well made but I find the thumb screw that you tighten to clamp the string has an edge that is so thin it actually causes me pain to grip it firmly enough to clamp the string. I found a thread on here before with several people complaining about the same thing. Schallers seem to be regarded less highly than Sperzels, but I found them to be well up to the job on my old strat. Functionally the equal of the Sperzels, but easier to use and no pain.

Structo

I have the Sperzels on a couple strats and a tele.
The only thing I don't like is they're pretty heavy.
I couldn't believe the difference in the neck weight after I put them on.

I have some new split peg Klusons on another strat and I thought they weren't all that great. Seemed to have a bit of play on a couple of them.
IMHO, you want tuners with a high ratio, they seem to hold pitch better.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Locking tuners are da bomb, even on guitars with no trem, and imho, no tonal difference whatsoever.

Trending Topics