Need some headphone advice...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Rattle&Hum, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Member

I'm thinking MDR-7506, MDR-V6 or HD-280 types for tracking - primarily guitar. Also, simply for playing my POD late at night... The word on the Sony's is that they are slightly scooped - or at least pronounced lows and highs. Critics of the Senns say they lack a little bass or have a mild mid-range honk.

I'm looking for a great reference monitor headphone (in that price range) that will excel in guitar tracking...

What say ye?

2. fatherjacques

fatherjacques Supporting Member

I am using AKG K240 for years now with good results. Not the new ones (Studio) but the old model.

3. Bastille Sound

Bastille Sound Member

The 280s are great because they're tough and they have great isolation. They don't sound that great and feel like a clamp on your head. The Beyer 770s are I think the most accurate phones I've used. The Sonys are pretty dishonest cans, IMO. Very hyped - they sound nice, but not what I'd consider "reference monitor."

4. SideBMusic

SideBMusic Supporting Member

Look up the reviews on the Audio Technica M50's. I bought a pair and love them. Got the recommendation to check them out right here in this forum.

5. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    The Sonys are great for tracking because they're not accurate. The hyped high end really helps, especially when it comes to laying down guitar parts. But I wouldn't want to use them as a reference (unless you're really familiar with the way they sound).

I have the ATH M50s and I think they're great compared to the competition. Nothing's hyped, and the isolation is very good. They do fit more snug than something like the Sonys, so keep that in mind.

6. burchyk

burchyk Member

just got M50s yesterday, me likes. can not yet comment on the sound but they fit somewhat tightly. also they isolate nicely. coiled cord is a plus for me as well as having 1/8 to 1/4 converter

7. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Member

Okay, so I'm learning that what is good for reference is not necessarily good for tracking...

What I'm primarily interested in is tracking and playing with my POD. Mixing will be done (mostly) with my Event monitors.

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Alessandro MS-1 headphones, $99 shipped worldwide. George Alessandro of boutique amp fame worked with John Grado to make some neutral monitoring cans that excel with electric and acoustic guitar. one warning - they are extremely open, so sound comes in and sound goes out, so these are not the cans to plug into your ipod and listen to in the subway. you can order them with a 1/4 plug or a miniplug. DT770, HD280 and MDR7506/V6 are all extremely colored, especially in the bass, and showing little of the dynamics/transient response - the "kick ass" feel of your guitar. Of course, this could also be due to the muffling feeling of the closed cans, which are a necessity for isolation sometimes.

9. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Member

Thanks, Jahn... I'll check those out. I don't expect to be using these headphones for subway or airline use. Some good in-ear buds do the trick just fine for that.

You make a good point about the closed-back format hindering dynamic response, though...

10. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Member

One more thing... how do the Alessandro headphones differ from Grado's core products?

11. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

I just went through a headphone replacement and chose the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro based on some recommendation here. I love them! They are comfortable and sound great. I got mine from Ebay for about $149.00.