1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help choosing songs for my friend's wedding

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by nrandall85, May 23, 2011.

1. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

My friend is getting married next weekend, and he asked me to play acoustic guitar during the ceremony. He specifically asked for "#41" by Dave Matthews Band as the bride enters, but also wants me to have about 15 minutes of filler material to play while guests are seated. Knowing how these things go, I should probably have more prepared just in case.

He didn't name any other specific songs, but he did specify major key finger-picked type background music. He and the bride listen to bands like The Beatles, Death Cab for Cutie, early 90's rock. Seeing as how I don't have to sing, I could probably just sit there picking chord progressions for the entire time with no one noticing, but I'd like to attempt to play at least a few recognizable songs that would be appropriate for a wedding and meet the "major key happy" requirements.

I'm taking in to account bands they would like, lyrical content, etc. and stressing out over this a great deal, so any suggestions are welcome!

2. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Any help? I don't play wedding ever.

3. mannish

mannish Member

I would ask your friend for more specific recommendations on what 'filler tunes' he would like for you to play.

4. james...

james... Member

Go look through the Goo Goo Dolls singles catalog.

Seriously though.

5. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Keep Your Hands To Yourself - Georgia Satellites
    If You Wanna Be Happy - Jimmy Soul

;)

6. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

The Georgia Sattelites song would work....

How 'bout AC/DC You Shook Me All Nite Long?

7. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have to do the same thing this Saturday. I've learned the specific songs he's requested but I have no clue how I'm going to fill the 15 min. during seating.

8. Red Dirt

Red Dirt Member

Except for when the bride enters, all you really are going to be doing is elevator music. Since finger picking is such a distinctive style, any number of songs will work well. They need to be recognizeable, but don't need to be thematic in any way. Blackbird (Beatles), Fogelbert, Soft Eagles, etc. will work fine. Classical can fill a lot of time if needed (as would scales)

9. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep them coming! And this is for the actual ceremony, as in the 15 minutes everyone is getting seated.

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Home Coming Queen's Got A Gun
    Tie Your Mother Down
    I'm a Loser
    You Can't Do That
    Behind Blue Eyes

Just do the classical version, no one will have a clue :)

11. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

I'm a Loser by UFO? HAHA! Yeah!!!!

12. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i was recently in a good friend's wedding... and he asked me to play during the band's break at the reception. i agreed... cause i didn't want to say no to him... but it's not easy.

my approach... since the band had them dancing all night... my goal was to have them sing... since i wasn't gonna make them dance doing solo acoustic stuff. it worked. i did stuff by bruce springsteen... tom petty... etc.

since you are playing a ceremony... and you are expected to do filler music... i would stick to stuff people know... which might be tough if you're not singing.

the best advice i can give you... check with the bride. no matter what your friend tells you... his soon-to-be wife will have the final say... throw 20 songs at her and let her pick. that's what i did for that reception and it worked well.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  13. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

In My Life - The Beatles

14. Brooks

Brooks Member

highway to hell.

my pal (who i gigged with) had a classical guitarist at his wedding, and asked me to bring a small PA and run sound (mic up the CG, also it was one of those goofy ceremonys where lots of people read poetry on a mic). the CG wanted more $$ to do the rehearsal, so i sat in and butchered some of the classical pieces i knew from school. at the end of the rehearsal ceremony, the preacher stand-in guy said "i now pronounce you man & wife", and i launched into "i'm on the highway to hell!!!", doing my bon scott impersonation into the guitar mic. the bride actually laughed!

ps - sorry OP, i'm no help.

15. FFTT

FFTT Member

Something or Here Comes The Sun.

The classical version of White Wedding :)