• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need some help from the Vox guys please.

straightblues

I just got a AC4TV for Christmas. I simply love the tones from this thing. However, it is isn't quite loud enough to gig with. It is really close, but not there. So I need an amp that will give me these same tones at a little bit louder level. 15 watts max because I want to be able to crank it for overdrive at usable levels. My favorite tone with the AC4 is the volume at 3 oclock and the guitar volume turned down to about 6.

It doesn't have to say Vox on it. Botique or are cheap production amps are fine.

If I could get these tones out of a stomp box with my Fender type amps that would probably work as well so feel free to suggest some stomp boxes if they really get the tone.

Last edited:

straightblues

what's your speaker setup ?
I have lots of amps and speaker configurations. I can run a single 12, 2 x 12, 2 x10 or a single 15. I have both alnico and ceramic speakers. For Vox sorta speakers I have a Eminence Red Fang and a Weber Blue Dog.

My AC4 is the combo with a single 12.

Last edited:

amp boy

what speaker are you using ?
maybe a higher db rated speaker would do it....that Fang and Dog...do they do the trick ?

54GT

Gold Supporting Member
You could move up to the AC15HTV? Just picked one up the other day so I am still in honeymoon phase, but it seems a very sweet amp. Played several of the Vox-type alternatives and liked this one's tones best. Reasonably priced relative to most of the boutique alternatives too. We'll see how it holds up.

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
what speaker are you using ?
maybe a higher db rated speaker would do it....that Fang and Dog...do they do the trick ?
I agree. A 3 dB change in efficiency is essentially double the loudness. BTW, did you notice it only supports a 16 Ohm load? I'm considering selling mine because of this. I only use single 12's and everything I have is 8 Ohms. Wish I had researched this before getting this amp.

straightblues

I agree. A 3 dB change in efficiency is essentially double the loudness. BTW, did you notice it only supports a 16 Ohm load? I'm considering selling mine because of this. I only use single 12's and everything I have is 8 Ohms. Wish I had researched this before getting this amp.
Yeah I realized this. I might put two of my 8 ohm 12 inch speakers together and run it that way. I haven't tried it yet. Again, I am not too interested in trying to make the AC4 work because I think I would just be fighting it the whole time. I am more interested in using the AC4 for home use and getting something just a little louder to gig with.

steve108819

You could move up to the AC15HTV? Just picked one up the other day so I am still in honeymoon phase, but it seems a very sweet amp. Played several of the Vox-type alternatives and liked this one's tones best. Reasonably priced relative to most of the boutique alternatives too. We'll see how it holds up.
That is one killer amp. I have a line on one for $750 in mint condition, but I'm still trying to get over the fact that there is no MV. 99% of my playing is at home, where I can't even begin to warm up the tubes. But damn, it's one sweet amp. Help me justify why I need this much amp for home use.:)

terrapin

That is one killer amp. I have a line on one for $750 in mint condition, but I'm still trying to get over the fact that there is no MV. 99% of my playing is at home, where I can't even begin to warm up the tubes. But damn, it's one sweet amp. Help me justify why I need this much amp for home use.:)
Because they are GREAT amps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can get mine to sound great a lower volumes at home in triode mode using pedals. I find it an easy amp to tame without losing alot with the right pickups and the right pedals.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom