Need Some Help On Transpose Lick In Differnet Key

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by woodylong, Feb 16, 2015.

1. woodylong

woodylong Supporting Member

Hope some can help me on this. I play in a country band and our singer is changing the keys in songs that works better for him to sing. The song is Queen Of Memphis by Confederate Railroad. Its the opening intro lick that I'm trying to learn in the Key of E. The original version of the song Is played in Key of G. I think in the key of E the intro chords should be A-E-B-E. this is were I need help with the intro lick over these chords.
    Thanks
    also if there is any program or an app that can help with this would be great to have?

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Just transpose the notes in G to E, the scale degrees and relationships to each other will still be the same.

3. Phletch

Phletch Member

Yep, whatever you do in G, do it a minor third (1 1/2 steps) lower.

4. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

If the original chords are C G D G, then you're right, they become A E B E when transposed to E.

The opening lick in that song sounds like the guitarist is tuned down to C. You'd have to either tune down to A, which is quite a drop, or play that lick an octave higher on your A and D strings.

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Old school: get a capo
    or...a baritone guitar

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I'm sorry to be "that guy", but learn how to transpose. I can't think of a song that I've played in the last 20 years that can't almost immediately be played in all 12 keys.

The trick is to understand what greggorypeccary was talking about. The scale degrees are the same no matter what key.

7. cameron

cameron Member

I looked at the video (never having heard this song before) - yeah that lick is LOW. The guy's holding a normal Tele in the video, but it could well be a bari on the recording.

8. woodylong

The original song was done with baritone guitar I think on guitar its dropped down one whole step. So that's why I'm having trouble. I might be wrong?

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I think that's a Tele with a baritone neck.

10. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Download Audacity free from the internet. Import the mp3. Go to the "Effects" tab. Choose "Change Pitch". It will ask you for the original key and what you want to change it to. For example if the song is recorded in C and you want to hear it in A...Choose current key C and drop down to A. Audacity exports files in WAV form. I recommend changing that to mp3 for file size.

This should get you what you need to learn the lick. Good luck and practice hard!

Alex

11. JonR

JonR Member

For the OP - Audacity will slowdown too, to confirm details.
    And of course that's still a tiny part of what it can do (it's an easy-to-use multitrack recorder, with built-in effects). Highly recommended.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
    For heavy duty transcription jobs, though, I use Transcribe - a more intuitive interface for the tasks required.
    http://www.seventhstring.com/

12. woodylong

Thanks Holliman works great