• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need some help selecting a bass amp - GK400RB / Ampeg PF500 ?

prodrigu

Silver Supporting Member
We are forming a new band and the bass player (I play guitar) still does not have an amp. We will rent an hourly studio and need to bring a bass amp.

While the bass player is saving to buy his amp, I am planning to get an amp head with direct out to go straight to the PA and lend it to my friend for the time being. I don't understand much about bass and was wondering if I can et some help on the following:

Head options are Ampeg PF500 ($350) or GK400RB ($399). Which one would you buy ? Why ?

Can those amps run without a load ? Just using the direct out ?

I also saw an used Acoustic B-600H for $250. Is this a good option ? Can this run without a load ?

Many thanks in advance,

olejason

If you want something to run without a load just get a used Sansamp. Should be around $100 or so.

I don't know about those heads specifically but, generally, you shouldn't run heads without a load. Those particular examples may be fine. At any rate I'd go with the Sansamp.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Direct into the PA you might want to try something like a Tech21 VT pedal - classic Ampeg tone in a little bitty box. Warm up the direct tone and use the power of your PA.

georgestrings

If you want something to run without a load just get a used Sansamp. Should be around $100 or so.

I don't know about those heads specifically but, generally, you shouldn't run heads without a load. Those particular examples may be fine. At any rate I'd go with the Sansamp.
Running an SS or hybrid bass amp without a load is no problem - it's all tube amps you can't do that with...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

Head options are Ampeg PF500 ($350) or GK400RB ($399). Which one would you buy ? Why ?
The Ampeg PF500 has to be one of the most unreliable bass amps ever made - I wouldn't recommend buying one of those used, under any circumstances... Ampeg has to be on their 7th or 8th revision of that amp - and there are a whole 'lotta people who've been burned by Ampeg on that one, and the 7Pro...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

Direct into the PA you might want to try something like a Tech21 VT pedal - classic Ampeg tone in a little bitty box. Warm up the direct tone and use the power of your PA.

Another good option is Aguilar's Tone Hammer DI Pedal...

- georgestrings

olejason

Generally, for DI's people will recommend the following:

Sansamp
Sansamp VT
Aguilar Tone Hammer
Darkglass B7K (expensive)

Also of note are the Avalon U5 and REDDI but they're both north of $500

georgestrings

Generally, for DI's people will recommend the following:

Sansamp
Sansamp VT
Aguilar Tone Hammer
Darkglass B7K (expensive)

Also of note are the Avalon U5 and REDDI but they're both north of $500
Other worthy additions to that list are Radial's Bassbone, EBS's Microbass/II, and MXR's M80...

- georgestrings

omahaaudio

JD Z

The Ampeg PF500 has to be one of the most unreliable bass amps ever made - I wouldn't recommend buying one of those used, under any circumstances... Ampeg has to be on their 7th or 8th revision of that amp - and there are a whole 'lotta people who've been burned by Ampeg on that one, and the 7Pro...

- georgestrings
I keep hearing stories of this, but both I and another bassist friend have one and have never had problems, even after over a year of gigging with a GK 410 Neo. I think it just depends if you get an older one or not. I used mine last night at Monster's Houston Halloween Kickoff at Numbers in Houston, and the sound guy got ecstatic about my amp and "how amazing it is and how good the tone is" (I had the pf-500 and the GK 410 Neo). so much so he wanted to run direct from the amp AND mic the cab, which sounded massive compared to the rest of the bands who just got a di from the amp because their amps were just not that great (our band was the best band there apparently, and had the best equipment. lol.)

However, I would suggest a di pedal of some sort for just running direct. I use a 3-channel programmable sansamp, and I used to have the aguilar tone hammer (just preferred the sansamp for my tone). the sansamp gives the ampeg tone, the aguilar is obviously sounding like an aguilar. the programmable sansamp is nice cuz you can program 3 different tones for different basses, or just different styles.

fisticuffs

The GK will be fine, and the DI in it is fine as well. Lots of recommendations for a DI but you want an amp as well...
I like the TC too. Play the RH450. Great DI, plenty of juice. New BH550 and BH800 hitting the streets soon.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom