Need some help/suggestions with a Tele build

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Beng2040, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I've wanted a 70's dual humbucker thinline Telecaster for years now, but the prices are way too high for me to afford. I've decided to build my dream guitar instead, but am having trouble sourcing an unfinished 72 thinline body. I've seen the Warmoth bodies, but the contours are quite a bit different from Fenders for my taste. I'm looking for an exact replica and all I can seem to find are 69 style thinline style bodies.

I've checked all over online and struck out. Anyone know of a shop that makes these...maybe a custom builder?

My plan is to have it sent to MJT for an aged oly white light relic finish, along with a lightly reliced Allparts neck. I'm going to install Lollar WRHB's...this should give me everything I want in a 72 thinline...big frets, slight wear, oly white nitro finish, great sound all for less than 1/2 the price of a 70's Fender. If I could only find the body...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Kepi

Kepi Guest

3. Beng2040

4. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Contact Marc Rutters, I would think he could make you one. if not Musikraft could likely make you one. Contact their customer service or Scott and let them know what you are looking for.

5. Beng2040

Thanks, I'll check them out!

6. Kepi

Kepi Guest

Yeah, I believe you're right. Definitely keep me posted on what you decide. I've been thinking about building something along those lines for a while now...

7. Copper_Head

Copper_Head Supporting Member

8. Tele Custom Lover

Tele Custom Lover Member

Absolutely... positively... no question! And if you're interested, he'll guide you through the entire process to help you achieve the tone you're after with ideas on bridge, pups, etc.

9. Beng2040

Thanks guys! I'll check out USACG and Marc Rutters. Really appreciate the help!

10. Groveness

Groveness Silver Supporting Member

Southern transplant based in Brooklyn, NY
    I'd like to put in a big "Here, Here!" for Marc Rutters. He's really quite a wizard with wood and metal, and his lumber supply is world class.

11. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I know you said you didn't like the Warmoth-style body, but I figured I'd post a pic of one of mine. It's my main player.

[​IMG]

12. Beng2040

That is SWEET! It's not that I don't like the Warmoth style, it's just that I have an old 70's pickguard that I don't think would work with that body.

I think I'm going to go with these guys...
    http://www.bhefner.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=142
    Fender licensed and reasonable price/lead time. Here's to starting my first ever build (and hopefully my favorite guitar eventually). :beer Thanks for the great suggestions.

13. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

14. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I know you want to put your own together...but just giving you some ideas. My Danocaster....

[​IMG]

15. Beng2040

That guitar is ALL SORTS of awesome!

I'd LOVE a Dano 72 thinline, but they seem to come few and far between. I'm trying to be patient but have the cash now and am itching for one. Wanna sell that beauty???:p

On another note, I read up on bhefner and will NOT be going with them. Back to the drawing board...

16. Beng2040

I want that blonde 72 thinline so bad...I can taste it!!! Maybe it's current owner is ready for a change???:dunno:p