need some help with audacity

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by DaveF, Jul 12, 2008.

1. DaveF

DaveF Member

Hi all,

I have a line6 toneport ux2 connected to my computer.

I've been plugging a microphone into it and then recording some drums with audacity.

It used to be that I could record a track with audacity, and then after I was done, hit record again and it would play back the first track while recording the second one.

I like to fool around with building up little percussion jams with myself this way.

Well, today I turn it on to fool around and it will record just fine, but for some reason it no longer plays back the other tracks while recording the new one.

Any ideas as to what setting I've screwed up? It used to work just fine and I haven't changed anything about my computer that I know of.

Thanks for any help.

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

According to their help page (which I can't copy and paste) it says there is a box that must be checked called 'play other tracks while recording new ones'. Maybe somewhere along the lines, you unchecked it...?

I like Audacity, nice little program.

Good luck.

3. DaveF

DaveF Member

That did it! Thanks.

The preferences window that pops up is tricky. When it first popped up I didn't see the audio IO tab which is where that check box is located. I had to hit a little left and right arrow to get that tab to show up. I didn't notice it until I went looking for the checkbox on your suggestion.

Thanks!

4. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

Also make sure you have the Toneport selected for the track's output if that's what you're using. If you don't have Gearbox running when you start Audacity it could have come up with no output selected...

Mark