1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help with my monitoring hookup...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Navigator, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

I have two tasks I'm trying to accomplish with my current recording set-up:

I've had my home studio set-up for a few years now but have never properly hooked up my monitor system so that I could bring up (or down) the source being recorded in the headphones without messing with the levels in the computer. That is, I'd like to hook up my Mackie 1202 monitoring board so that I can raise or lower the source being recorded (in the headphone mix) independent of the computer's input. I'm using Digital Performer on a G5, running out to the Mackie 1202, then into a Prosonus headphone amp, and finally out to my speakers (Mackie 824s). My interface is an RME Fireface 800.

The second question is simpler: I want to hook up an outboard reverb unit to the 1202 so that I can put reverb only in the headphone mix for vocalists.

Thanks for anyone who can tell how to wire it up!

2. Navigator

I posted this over at gearslutz as well, but I spend more time over here. Can anyone give me a hand here? I think it's a matter of routing, but I haven't figured it out yet.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

Question 2:

Connect the input of the reverb unit to the 1202's "Aux 1" output.

Connect the reverb's outputs to the "Aux In 1" inputs on the 1202.

Using the "Aux 1" pot on the channel strip, you can add 'verb to that particular channel.

Loudboy

4. Navigator

Thanks much Loudboy. That does look like it will work, although of course I still need to be able to isolate the track being recorded since that's the track (vocals) that will get the verb.