Need some help with my pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kaka's, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Kaka's

Kaka's Member

I need some help in my pedalboard... Any advices for my pedals chain?

[​IMG]
    (This picture is just for an example)

Chain:
    Guitar - Ernie Ball Junior (Volume) - (Tuner out Boss TU2) - Vox V847 - Boss SD1 - Boss OC2

Amp Loop (Mesa Nomad 55) - Boss Line Selector - Digitech DigiDelay - Boss DD3 - Boss CH1 - Boss TR2

Is this right? :huh

Sorry my bad English...

:bow

Thank´s!

2. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

if thats your chain, i would say less buffers. maybe pedals that are bigger, and less 'restricted' sounding that the SD1, an analog delay or something other than the DD3/digitech. just dont want the sound the audience hears to be the sound of Boss, but rather, you want them to hear the sound of a Mesa Nomad! :D

3. Kaka's

Kaka's Member

I see... Any sugestions/replacements? I guess I could live without the SD1 but I like a lot the CH1 and the TR2... I also have a true bypass looper. Should I use it?

:huh

4. Kaka's

Kaka's Member

Is this chain correct? Help please... Can´t explain but i´m not very happy with this chain... Try others but suck more than this.

:nuts

5. modernage

modernage Member

I agree with this. You don't want your signal so colored that you aren't able to get that true Mesa tone. There's a few minor changes I would consider. I would ditch the DigiDelay for an analog delay. That way you have both an analog and digital delay on your board. Some options that won't leave you broke would be a Carbon Copy or EHX Memory Boy.

I would change out the SD1 for some true bypass overdrive. Something along the lines of MI Audio Crunchbox (I bought one used for under $80), Fulltone OCD, or maybe get on the waiting list for a PaulC Timmy (it'd give you time to save up while you waited). These are changes that wouldn't cost a lot of money.

I would definitely use your looper on the pedals at the end, TR-2 & CH-1.

Now when it comes to signal flow, most people will say that it all depends on your tastes and preferences. There are a few guidelines that can get you started... or at least get you experimenting. First of all, a lot of people will place their wah at the very beginning, before anything else.

When it comes to the volume pedal there are usually 2 major choices you need to make. Do you want it pre or post dirt (od, distortion), and if it's post dirt do you want it pre or post delay. If it's pre dirt, the volume pedal will clean up your tone when you roll it back if you have overdrive on (like your volume knob would on your guitar). If it's after your dirt it won't affect it. Now if you choose to go after your od, you'll want to think about if you want your volume pedal to have the ability to cut off all sound, and any delay trails instantly (post delay) or if you want to be able to cut the volume and let the delay fade naturally. On my board I have my volume pedal set up after my dirt, and before my delay. I figure if I want to clean up my tone a bit I can use the volume knob on my guitar, but I like to have the option of doing volume swells and adjust volume while using the ebow. This is easier for me to do it with a pedal then with my pinky finger.

With pitch effects, I like to run them before any distortions or overdrives. You'll want a nice clean tone going into your octave pedal, so that it can work more precisely. That's not to say you can't get some cool tones by leaving it where you have it now. I'd just instinctively try it 2nd in line, after the wah.

Now what exactly are you using the Line Selector for?

I hope this wasn't too long of a response. Just keep in mind that there's not wrong way of wiring your board, but what works best for your sound, unless you are running your guitar into the outs of each pedal. haha.

6. Kaka's

Kaka's Member

It wasn´t a too long response at all!
    I like the idea of replacement the Digitech by the Carbon Copy or EHX Memory Boy, perhaps the Memory Man? What do you think?
    The Line Selector that I´m using is a Boss PSM-5 Power Supply and Master Switch... But I´m going to start to use a TrueBypass Looper by Mr. Ron fx www.mrronfx.pt.vu
    And I have to ride the OCD :rockin
    I´m from Portugal and it´s not easy try the PaulC Timmy... Don´t know anyone with that one, and don´t want to make a "blind deal"...

Thank´s!!!

7. modernage

modernage Member

Oh yeah, Memory Man for sure! My fiance plays guitar too, and she has a big box Deluxe Memory Man. It's great!

The OCD is a wonderful pedal. I've been wanting to try a Catalinbreat Dirty Little Secret, and I hear the Barber Direct Drive is a nice overdrive too. The cool thing about the Timmy is that they only cost $130 if you order one from PaulC directly. You could try it out, and if it doesn't work with your setup you could sell it here and get your money back, plus a little extra. It's a win/win situation. You'd either end up with a sweet od, or a sound invest that would earn you a little profit. haha. I'm on the waiting list for a Tim, but in the meantime I have a Timmy clone and it sounds great.

The great thing about playing guitar is there are so many options out there that it could take a lifetime to try them all out.