• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Need some help with my rack

ice812

I'm putting a rack of gear together and I'm wondering the best order to hook it all up would be.

Here is what I have right now, just got the Eventide today.

ADA MP-1 has effects loop
Lexicon MPX500
Roland SDE-2500
Rocktron Hush IICX
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Eventide H3000S
Blackstar HT5R head has effects loop
Randall 4 x12 cab

Technica

Don't forget a single-space power conditioner, which I always place at the top. Awesome gear you have. The MP-1 is a legendary classic!

I'm not a fan of the Sonic Maximizer units but that is personal preference. If you're not careful, and depending on your setup and output, they can make your sound very shrill.

M@tt C

Silver Supporting Member
Nice gear! I've always had a soft spot for rack stuff. Probably because I got into playing in the early- mid 80's, and racks were the shiznit back then.

Definitely check out http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/ if you haven't yet. These guys know rack setups like nobody's business.

Rex Anderson

If I had that rack gear, I would get a small mixer.

Send the main outputs (not the loop output) of the ADA to a line in on the mixer (or 2 if stereo). Use aux sends to feed your rack gear and return the outputs to mixer channels line inputs.

If you don't have enough aux sends, you can Y the outputs or build a small patch bay type box to mult the outputs to feed each device input.

That way, the clean signal feeds each unit as opposed to chaining from one unit to another.

Set up the mix on your mixer and feed it to the Blackstar return input.

Getting proper gain structure will help with S/N issues. Using mixer channel faders to get the right amount of the effect for the mix will make things easier too.

The Rocktron may not be needed and if used should be in line from the output of the mixer to the input of the Blackstar, not fed from an aux on the mixer.

This is basically how Larry Carlton does it, he just has fewer rack processors.

Actually, you should watch the video on Larry's rig. He mics his amp's cab and uses that to feed a mic input on the mixer, then uses aux sends to feed his rack gear and the mixer feeds FRFR (small PA) speakers that are on either side of his amp/cab.

Last edited:

hydroquebec

I'm putting a rack of gear together and I'm wondering the best order to hook it all up would be.

Here is what I have right now, just got the Eventide today.

ADA MP-1 has effects loop
Lexicon MPX500
Roland SDE-2500
Rocktron Hush IICX
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Eventide H3000S
Blackstar HT5R head has effects loop
Randall 4 x12 cab
It would really be nice to run stereo with gear like that. In any case, something to split your signal to the MPX, SDE, and H3000, and then mix it all back together again. I think one Rane SM26 would work for a mono rig to get the Lex, Roland, and Eventide in parallel.

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
i see that list of awesomeness, and then you get to that Blackstar amp..

WTF..?

Your fingers probably started smoking just from putting it so close in the list to the Eventide!!!

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
It would really be nice to run stereo with gear like that. In any case, something to split your signal to the MPX, SDE, and H3000, and then mix it all back together again. I think one Rane SM26 would work for a mono rig to get the Lex, Roland, and Eventide in parallel.
i see that list of awesomeness, and then you get to that Blackstar amp..

WTF..?

Your fingers probably started smoking just from putting it so close in the list to the Eventide!!!
I kind of agree ... have you considered getting rid of the Blackstar and possibly going with a tube power amp instead? Maybe a Mesa Boogie 50/50? That would allow you to run stereo as well.

pawel

I would imagine that the Hush should be in series with you preamp, either right after it or in the effects loop, not that familiar with the BBE, so not sure where this works best.

For the effects, you probably need to let us know what you want each unit to do. At the minimum I would second the mixer idea, which would allow you to run (some of) the effects in parallel with the preamp and hence preserve your dry sound.

You then should decide whether you want to run your other effects in series (i.e. pitch/chorus from Eventide into delay from Roland into reverb from Lexicon, or pitch/chorus from Eventide into reverb into delay) or series/parallel. A common approach would be to split the signal after chorus and pitch effects to feed delay and reverb in parallel. This won't let you have reverb on delay trials or vice versa, but would allow you to run all your effects 100% wet. If you went for al series approach you would need to play with mix levels to get the right sound (e.g. you might want to have reverb on the delay trails and on the dry sound, not just on the delay trails).

With the series/parallel setup, assuming you get a mixer you could try:

Preamp --> split signal to mixer and Eventide --> preamp and Eventide back to separate channels of the mixer

Mixer aux (from preamp and Eventide channels) --> split signal to delay and reverb --> delay and reverb back to separate channels of the mixer

This would give you an unaffected dry sound, dry + Eventide (delay/reverb off), dry + reverb/delay or both (Eventide off), dry + Eventide + reverb/delay or both

Ultimately it depends on what you want to do with your effects. There are many ways to set this system up. All this would of course work best with a stereo setup of some sort.

mark123

Don't forget a single-space power conditioner, which I always place at the top. Awesome gear you have. The MP-1 is a legendary classic!

I'm not a fan of the Sonic Maximizer units but that is personal preference. If you're not careful, and depending on your setup and output, they can make your sound very shrill.
Def want a voltage regulating rack of outlets
I keep my power conditioner on the bottom - keeps it a bit cleaner and can use the front outlets to drive pedals or whatever without having the power cables dripping down the rack.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
You most definitely need a mixer. I use a RJM Mini Effects Gizmo for splitting and the effects outputs are going to a RJM Mini Line Mixer.

Lose the BBE, not needed and won't do any good anyway.

And you need a good power amp.

Baminated

I keep my power conditioner on the bottom - keeps it a bit cleaner and can use the front outlets to drive pedals or whatever without having the power cables dripping down the rack.

Right, but does it regulate voltage in addition to (so called) power conditioning?

Technica

The Art rack power conditioner I use also regulates voltage. The less expensive units from any brand will likely not regulate voltage.

Trending Topics