Need some help with singing solo tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shawn Tubbs, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Ok I kinda got the low gain thing covered.. I'm using a Klon and an Eternity and a Tim pedal and there all fabulous for various low gain grinds. I still haven't got the slightly higher gain singing solo thing down yet. The Tim into the Eternity is kinda cool but not quite there. I don't dig the super bright thing. I'm wanting the rounder top end not the bite angry thing. Tried a Tube Zone no go, Xotic AC didn't get it, Thinkin about the Pro Analog stuff. I'm mostly using a Gibson Les Paul with Lollars into a Divided by 13 FTR 37. I keep the amp dialed clean to just slight breakup. Any help would be great!!

Thanks you guys

Seamus

2. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

add a tone press infront of the tim/eternity/klon

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Try eternity into tim.

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd say go into the Tim instead. And then the right compressor at the tail end for good measure will do it.

5. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Thanks guys. I'll take that scooner for a spin that way and see what happens.

Seamus

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've been using the new FDII Mosfet, on vintage setting into a Sea Blue Eq with the highs cut and the bass knob at 12:00, man talk about round on the bridge pickup! This is a Baker B1 or a Grosh Setneck into a RSA23 or Connie.

7. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

Hey man- I get a nice singing solo tone with a Fozrox ZIM. I have the VT and H9 cards and the two cascaded together with a tele or strat into a Dr. Z is an amazing lead tone. My two cents. Happy hunting!

8. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I've got a FTR37 also, and run a Cornish G2 for singing sustainy stuff. It really is huge sounding and cuts through the mix incredible.

I had a Landgraff DO for about a month and decided to sell it because it just wasn't as big and breathy as the G2, just didn't seem worth it to keep both.

One thing though, I consider the G2 to be a medium distortion... I usually run the sustain pretty high to get what I want out of it (9-10). At lower settings it is cool if you stack it, but I could probably find something cheaper to do the same thing and just don't go there much. Cranked up with the 37 notes will sing until you let go of it though! And it is sooo quiet when not playing, you won't even know it's on. No hiss or squeel at all. Very cool.

I would think the Cornish P2 would be a step beyond and give even more... It's next on my list.

9. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Try an RC Booster in front of your other pedals. In particular, it is great for producing singing lead tones when placed in front of an AC Booster or Zendrive. If you're going for the Robben Ford tones, RC->Zendrive is hard to beat. The RC->AC combination is a bit grittier, but still awesome.

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

What didn't you like about the MI Audio Tube Zone for high-gain sounds?

11. Blues67

Blues67 Member

Zendrive into to Tim works for me. Eternity into Tim might work too.

12. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

I'll try the Eternity into the Tim and see what that does. Running the Tim into the Eternity created more gain than I need and a paper top end. I'll try the other way and see what happens. That Zen Drive sounds kinda interesting...Have you guys tried the ProAnalog stuff?

Thanks for all the help you guys

Best

Seamusmcwouldn'tknowtoneifitbitmeonthe...

13. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

If the eternity isn't doing it, I think you need to venture into distortions instead of overdrives. Maybe a keeley modded rat or the dreaded distortion pro. It is actually a good sounding unit for that, if that is all you need out of it. Not good for having to switch up different sounds on the fly, too much interaction of the knobs. Pretty painless to try it, buy one of ebay, if it doesn't work you can sell it for the same you paid pretty easily.

14. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

+1000 on E into the Timmy.....

Works well.

Now go get a Twin 60 and run that after the E!!!!!

15. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

I assume you're talking about playing live? Just my two cents but for me using a compressor makes it kind of tough to cut through the mix and having to stomp on two pedals to get your solo can be a pain. I like the new Direct Drive, Mosfuratu and the G2D Custom OD for that tone you're describing. I haven't tried the Pro Analog stuff by the way. Good luck with your search.

16. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Tone Press into a Zendrive. I also really liked the Antelope Morning Dew EQ into the Zendrive but the Tone Press gave it a bit more bite and singing sustain.

17. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

I've not heard of said Mosfuratu pedal. Whats that all about?

Thanks

Seamus

18. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

That's probably because I spelled it wrong, it should be Mosferatu. It's
    made by Hermida Audio. Here's the website.

http://www.hermidaaudio.com/

19. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Ah yes thanks for the clarification. I'm kinda digging the Eternity into the Tim ,just hate turning knobs so much. I'm kinda liking the what little I heard from the zen drive at the site.

Thanks man!

Seamusmcstillsoundspoopy

20. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

Try a Classic Rat, w/the controls at: Dist 10:00-12:00, Filter 3:00, Output 3:00-4:00

Right into Santana-land, especially above the 12th fret.

Loudboy