Need some help with this

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Dave35, May 29, 2005.

1. Dave35

Dave35 Member

Tried a bunch of different things but nothing seems to fit with it, but my talents are limited. im hoping some of you might give me some ideas

Indecision

2. Normster

Normster Member

Can't help much with the melody or lead style, but I thought the backing was nice and mellow...almost ambient. Given the same musical idea, I would probably have brought the bass up a little more and added some additional percussion. Here's a little remix to show you what I mean. (Drums kick in at 00:38)
    Dave's Indecision Remix

3. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Hi Dave I thought I would have a stab at this and see what I could come up with. I tried to keep it simple and moody.

I played over Normsters tweak of the track (nice additions).

Appologies for the slight distortion I did not realise until after the take that the lead part was clipping.....................Still the ideas (or lack of them !) are what hopefully comes through.

Indecision

4. Dave35

Dave35 Member

Thats awesome guys!

I tried a couple different beats because i thought it needed some more drums as well but my selection is a bit limited and i just couldnt find anything that was "light" enough.

That guitar is awesome Woody. Man i wish i could play like that because that is my favorite style of guitar to listen to.

Maybe you guys are interested ina collaboration to help this poor soul :D

hehe, i need to be leaving for the golf course but i cant quit listening to it :)

5. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

WHoa....too kind, I'm pleased you liked it dave. If I can help trigger some ideas I'll help out, but there's so many great players hear who could offer far more than me mate. I feel like a fraud on the Jazzy stuff, It's not my natural arena.

6. Normster

Normster Member

Wow, from idea to complete song in two easy steps. Is the internet a great place or what? :dude

I love those bluesy jazz (jazzy blues?) chops, Woody! Sooo tasty!!!:D

7. Dave35

Dave35 Member

Well, no one else offered did they? :D

nah dude, i really like the flow of it. believe it or not, thats almsot exactly what i was wanting it to be but i just couldnt seem to get there.

I think the added drums may make a difference for me and ill be making my feeble attempt soon.

2 questions:

Woody, what gear did you play that with? i love that sound.

Norm, where did you get that beat? Im pretty new to this GNX4 and i think i can make my own beats but havent learned yet. im figuring there is probably some sites or programs as well that will increase what i have available. This thign has some great drum tracks that came with it but not alot of lighter ones like i want.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to work on this for me. I really appreciate it.

8. Normster

Normster Member

I used the "Dr Rex" loop player in Reason and just selected a loop that sounded about right. It's the easiest way for a percussion-challenged person like me to squeak by. lol

9. Dave35

Dave35 Member

ahhh, percussion impaired....im a charter member of their support group :D

Thanks for the info, ill look it up.

10. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Hi chaps,

Dave - On this particular cut I used my Shur chambered strat - neck pickup, and a PODxt clean twin setting. If no ones around I try and mic the Skrydstrup OD50 as that's the tone I'm realy into but it has to be at gig volume for the tone I like and so I can't use it all the time and keep the miss's happy...............

If your careful with the the Eq you can get some convincing lead tones from the Pod too:

Pod Lead tone

Norm- Yeah I love Jazz blues in particular Robben's playing. I grew up on rock (Vinnie Moore, Satch, Via) but I'm working hard at trying to get elements of Jazz and jazz blues into my playing.

Listen enough to my clips and you'll hear all the same jazzy licks!!!!:(