Need some Ibanez RG input

eschoendorff

I'm looking for a shredder to take the place of my Jackson DKMG. I just don't like the neck on the Jackson (it's a pretty thick "D-ish" shape), nor do I like the traditional Strat neck joint. I really like the thin "D" neck on a couple of my other guitars.

The RG450DX looks like a decent candidate:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

I have a couple Dean VMNTs that have a thin "D" neck. I was looking for something similar in a super strat design. Jackson was my first attempt, but the neck didn't really fit me very well. I tried a couple other Jackson necks and they are really inconsistent. Some felt better than others, but non of them felt like "home."

My next attempt is Ibanez. I realize that the RG450DX is not a "premium" or a "prestige," but is the quality decent? I really like the looks and the specs of the 450DX, but I'm concerned that it is a little less money than I expected. Then again, with guitars you don't always "get what you pay for." I had a lower-end Ibanez acoustic that I really liked several years ago.

Anyone familiar with this tier in the Ibanez line-up?

pedal4plus

I have tried the current RG450DX which is "Made in Indonesia". If you like super strats you might not like it, since the neck/tone/overall quality is not something I would call decent.

You could try the old MIJ RGs which you could find on ebay. I have the MIJ RG370B and I can tell you that its neck is buttery smooth which you will not get in the current 350DX/450DX guitars. The Sterling by MM JP60 is a great option, you might wanna check that out.

Roodboy

Silver Supporting Member
You may be better off going used with an rg 500 series or 1500 series.
The floyds are better.
Should be able to get one @ same price

djlynch

Silver Supporting Member
find an old rg 500 series in good shape. 350- 450
I have 3 and love them

Meh.. old rg 550s are nice..IF you can play it.. I've played lots that were in need of more work than they were worth.
I recently picked up a rg 920qm that is nice and $450 on the GC used site. Had it shipped to my local GC to check out.

Mr. Mukuzi O

i have an old MIJ RG420 with an Earnie Taylor neck, Earnie Taylor re-designed the scarf joint and his necks have vintage frets and his necks fit the AANJ Ibanez use. I really like the tones from the two humbuckers with the five way. so thats what i recomend, get a twin bucker RG MIJ with an earnie taylor neck.

I'm looking for a shredder to take the place of my Jackson DKMG. I just don't like the neck on the Jackson (it's a pretty thick "D-ish" shape), nor do I like the traditional Strat neck joint. I really like the thin "D" neck on a couple of my other guitars.

The RG450DX looks like a decent candidate:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

I have a couple Dean VMNTs that have a thin "D" neck. I was looking for something similar in a super strat design. Jackson was my first attempt, but the neck didn't really fit me very well. I tried a couple other Jackson necks and they are really inconsistent. Some felt better than others, but non of them felt like "home."

My next attempt is Ibanez. I realize that the RG450DX is not a "premium" or a "prestige," but is the quality decent? I really like the looks and the specs of the 450DX, but I'm concerned that it is a little less money than I expected. Then again, with guitars you don't always "get what you pay for." I had a lower-end Ibanez acoustic that I really liked several years ago.

Anyone familiar with this tier in the Ibanez line-up?

If you can, get an older RG made in Japan. The necks play just like the new prestige or wizards. I've had Jackson soloists, Charvels, all of the different rocker style guitars and its hard to beat an old RG without spending tons of cash. I play hendrix type blues rock as well as shred stuff and the RGs sound great.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
As noted, used MIJ RG500 series is you're best course of action. See if you can find one with the "super wizard" neck, with the bubinga stripe on the back. SUPER stable, yet very thin.

Lt Dak

Silver Supporting Member
I got a '98 520qs for fairly reasonably price/trade. It's fantastic. Next on the list will be a 550. The old MIJ Ibanez's are a great value if you can find one in good shape.

Meh.. old rg 550s are nice..IF you can play it.. I've played lots that were in need of more work than they were worth.
I recently picked up a rg 920qm that is nice and $450 on the GC used site. Had it shipped to my local GC to check out.
I 100% agree with this, I've played and owned a few different Ibbys, and the Premium RG920 870 950 lines were by far my favorite. The MIJ are okay, but as movingpictures stated sometimes need a little to a lot of TLC, fairly decent shot that that a fret job is needed in the near future as most of them you see for sale are around 20 years old now. The RG450 your looking at is not a bad choice at all, but if you don't mind buying used and spending a little bit more $500-600 you can get a monster shred axe. Honestly I think the premium were on par with the prestige series. Plus they were made in like 2011/2012 i think so plenty of fret life left.

Trending Topics