1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

need some info on the differance between A2 and A5 PICKUPS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bugman, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bugman

bugman Member

looking to get new pickups but im not sure what the differance is between them,looking at getting throbaks one set is 101 limited there A2 and the limited plus are A5 can someone school me on this, the a5s are hotter thats all i know

2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

General rule of thumb:

A5: Harder attack, neutral in mids, big bass, sharp treble, higher output

A2: Softer attack, spongier bass, softer treble, pronounced singing mids.

These are VERY very generalized descriptions, and can definitely vary depending on wind, etc.

3. Klein Pickups

Klein Pickups Member

Expanding on the above:

A5 is stronger, creating a harder attack in the signal to the amp. Fuller rounder tone with formvar, crunchier with enamel.

A2 is weaker, creating a softer attack to the amp. Great bluesy tone with enamel and a tends to be more mellow in the trebles with formvar.

As far as 1 magnet hotter than the other tends to not be true, stronger yes, but I can wind a A2 hotter than an A5. A5 have a slight advantage as they are brighter in the low DC rating allowing you the capabilities to overwind them slightly hotter than you could say an A2.

Simpliest Generalization is A5 Brighter, A2 Somewhat Darker. Variables can alter this generalization though.

Chris Klein

4. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

5=bright
    2/3=mellow